• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to reduce stress? Taking rabbits on a holiday

Kavanne

Mama Doe
Hey!

I shall be visiting my mum from 1st-7th August and my buns shall be joining us. My mum has an amazing garden and I feel bad that since I moved to a flat they are 100% indoors.

The drive to hers is about 2 hrs. I've bought a dog crate for the car so they will have space to move a bit and it will be able to fit their litter tray in for familiar smells. Should I then cover the crate in a towel perhaps?

I do have some very confident and outgoing bunnies who settle into new environments very well (as vets have commented when they've been in or needed admission) so I am not too worried about the new place but i know they both don't really like the car so I want to try and minimise the stress. Any tips??

Hey!

I shall be visiting my mum from 1st-7th August and my buns shall be joining us. My mum has an amazing garden and I feel bad that since I moved to a flat they are 100% indoors.

The drive to hers is about 2 hrs. I've bought a dog crate for the car so they will have space to move a bit and it will be able to fit their litter tray in for familiar smells. Should I then cover the crate in a towel perhaps?

I do have some very confident and outgoing bunnies who settle into new environments very well (as vets have commented when they've been in or needed admission) so I am not too worried about the new place but i know they both don't really like the car so I want to try and minimise the stress. Any tips??

I took my buns to my in laws at Christmas and they are a three hour drive. The rabbits were totally fine with the journey, had a sniff round their holiday home then immediately started munching. I took their litter trays, favourite hiding places and toys so they felt at home and it worked brilliantly. I would ignore them on the journey and just get it over with rather than stopping to check them.

Don't forget to include water for them on their journey.

It sounds as if you are planning well ahead................great.:thumb:

Best of luck.

I took my Kermit on holiday with me when he was ill with head tilt / EC. Drive was just under 2 hours. I took his cage in the back seat and he just flopped out and went to sleep most of the time :)

Thanks!! I am surprised by replies as i thought someone at least would come on and say 'blah blah blah don't stress out your bunnies' but honestly I think they suffered more without me there this weekend than they would travelling with me.

This is saph as soon as I got back and sat down;
29c02bc8.jpg

Note the ginormous mess behind her!!!

Awww, I love when bunnies put their head on yor lap :) My Inca does it all the time (often after me lifting her into position - haha!)

Back