• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why are my rabbits all getting pneumonia??! Stressed. :(

toffee

Mama Doe
I lost Michelle a couple of weeks ago to pneumonia (complicated with other problems) and then her partner Piccolo developed pneumonia.

He's taking a long time to recover - he's improving on Depocillin but very slowly.

A couple of months ago I also lost a guinea pig to pneumonia.

Now Oliver has pneumonia as well - for the 2nd time in a couple of months!!

What's going on? I'm getting really stressed about this!!:evil::cry:

The guinea pigs live in the sitting room in a C&C cage, Oliver lives in a hutch with run in the garage and Piccolo normally lives in the garage but for the past 6 weeks has been in my spare room because I brought him and Michelle in when Michelle was ill.

Do youi think it might be because of the weather we've been having and the consequent high humidity levels?

Perhaps there would be a case for having deep nasal swabs to check for underlying problem such as bordetella or pasteurella which may be behind it all- exacerbated by stresses such as temperature changes, moulting etc?

ETA: I mean on the healthy ones- the results are likely to be unreliable if they have already had antibiotics and a positive result may not necessarily indicate the root cause of the problem but it may be worth a go xx

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this - hope things improve soon.

I'm struggling with my elderly bunny Leo whos had 2 chest infections in past 12 months. He has recently had pneumonia and now vets said pasturella - he's needed 2 lots of antibiotics and is now over the worst but it's hard work at the mo as I know he could go downhill again anytime - his moult is due in September and I know that never helps his general health/stress levels.

Know my vets have seen an increase in rabbits with snuffles etc recently and they wondered if the weather has been a cause, as it does seem when human hay fever is high rabbits also seem to be getting more uri's and snuffles.

Anyway hope things go ok.

Are you making sure you adhere to quarantine procedures ie washing hands and changing clothes between handling, tending to the healthy buns first etc so that you aren't carrying the infection between the groups?

Back