• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Silly Question!

biskit

Young Bun
Hi everyone.I am needing some advice,I hope its not a silly question,but I am not sure,so I am going to ask:D.I recently got Harvey my little black lionhead who we have all fallen in love with.Yesterday I rescued a little female rabbit who we are calling Daisy.She is a lovely grey and white cross breed.They are being kept in separate hutches and runs until they are nuetered,spayed etc and when the time is right i will attempt to bond them.In the meantime though is it ok if they smell or see each other?We had Harvey in the kitchen last night for his usual runaround and he was smelling the carrier Daisy was in and he seemed a bit jumpy and frightened.He is such a friendly affectionate little rabbit I felt so bad like I had upset him or something lol.I hope I am not rambling but I dont want to do anything that may jeopardise future bonding.
Thank you for any advice you can give.

Hi there. I have a bllack lionhead and she is gorgeous. You wont be able to stop them from smelling one another as their sense of smell is so much more acute than ours. It wont make any difference to future bonding if they can see or smell one another, the only problem is if you let one rabbit out he will claim the territory as his own so it will have to be neutralised before bonding, unless you can use an area neither have been. Lots of good info available on here so come back with any other questions you have.

Thank you for your help thats reassuring:).Can i use the same carrier for the both of them for vet trips then,obviously not in it at the same time though!

Some rabbits seem to find the sight and smell of other rabbit reassuring, others it will stress out - judge from how you see him react. Unneutered rabbits are very terrotorial, so expect to see more marking behaviour and hormonal behaviour.

I'd get them both neutered asap to reduce the stress of an invading rabbit on their territory, as that is how it seems to them.

Harvey my male will be getting neutered in the next couple of weeks.Daisy my female is still only 10 weeks so it will be a wee while before she will be spayed.:)

Also, changing blankets, litter trays etc over and meeting through wire are actually bonding techniques, so it can help as long as neither rabbit is stressed or defensive because of it. Its not much help till they are neutered though, as it will be making him very frustrated right now.

Back