• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on moving rabbits...

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
from the heat outdoors to air conditioned indoors. How can I minimize stress on him and make it safe? I've got the area mostly ready for him. (Everything is cleaned out, just need to set up everything and get the carpeting covered.)

On the carpeting note, I got a large piece of carpet to put Bren on that way I can just vacuum it up when it needs cleaned. Is this acceptable? It's not tight carpet, but it's not shaggy either. Should I let it air out on the clothes line for a day or so before putting the bun on it?

Any advice will be great. Thanks!

This is Bren:
PICT0014-1.jpg

I think I would be worried about the change in temperature, it might be too drastic but it depends on how much different it is. Hay tends to get stuck to carpet and is difficult to clean up but perhapsyou can keep it contained. To go back to the temperature difference, rabbits are not good at regulating their temperature so I would be cautious. Someone else with experience may be along later.

Depends on the temperature, (how cold it is) so it needs to be done cautiously :)

Carpet is fine for us, the hoover isn't great at picking it up so we just scrape it up with our hands which works better :D If you think the carpet needs airing then do it :) When I have put the rabbits covers on the washing line I have soaked them with water (don't know why :lol:) so maybe you could spray it with water. Although I think just airing it would do it :D

Last edited:
Could you heat the area that he is going to be inside, or turn the AC off for a bit and gradually get him used to it? You getting him a buddy to move in with?

I have indoor buns and they are on carpet & rugs. If the carpet has been used before then airing it would be a good idea. Then just vacuum it every day or so. He might have wee accidents on the carpet. Vinegar spray is good for cleaning these up and it is bunny friendly :)

I've been bringing him inside for a little bit at a time to get him used to it. Hopefully that helps.

And yes, I want to get him a friend. I just have to make sure he's a boy.

Back