• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

tear duct flushing

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
I know it will vary with each vets but a ball park figure would be good

how much does it generally cost?

I may be adding an addition to our family a little bun with tear duct and respiratory issues

It would depend on whether it is done under GA or not

What the cause of the problem is- given the respiratory issues it may be tooth root related. So the cost of a tear duct flush may be the least of the demand on your finances.

It will depend entirely if it's done conscious or under GA. Digby just had his done no problem without GA, just local anaesthetic in his eyes. But no gunk came out, so I don't know if it would be more difficult if they're gunked up :? So it was only about £20!

It would depend on whether it is done under GA or not

What the cause of the problem is- given the respiratory issues it may be tooth root related. So the cost of a tear duct flush may be the least of the demand on your finances.

Its done while his awake usually according to the rescue

she said *buns* main health issue is that his tear ducts are narrow and therefore prone to blocking. This means that the fluid produced naturally by his eyes, exits from the corner of his eyes, rather than travelling down the ducts and out through his nose. All this means is that the fur around his face can become sticky with the fluid and therefore it needs cleaning. he may continue to get a bit of the ‘snuffles’ throughout his lifetime, Poor *bun* also walks a little bit funny too

So I dont think ill know the full extent of his issues until I have him see my vets...

Its done while his awake usually according to the rescue

she said *buns* main health issue is that his tear ducts are narrow and therefore prone to blocking. This means that the fluid produced naturally by his eyes, exits from the corner of his eyes, rather than travelling down the ducts and out through his nose. All this means is that the fur around his face can become sticky with the fluid and therefore it needs cleaning. he may continue to get a bit of the ‘snuffles’ throughout his lifetime, Poor *bun* also walks a little bit funny too

So I dont think ill know the full extent of his issues until I have him see my vets...

That sounds very much like tooth root elongation issues. Elongated tooth roots press on the nasolacrimal ducts making them narrow and preventing drainage. Skull Xrays are the only way to establish whether it is the tooth roots or not. Also, repeated flushing can actually make the problem worse causing thickening of the soft tissue within the ducts or, worst case scenario, rupture of the ducts.

That sounds very much like tooth root elongation issues. Elongated tooth roots press on the nasolacrimal ducts making them narrow and preventing drainage. Skull Xrays are the only way to establish whether it is the tooth roots or not. Also, repeated flushing can actually make the problem worse causing thickening of the soft tissue within the ducts or, worst case scenario, rupture of the ducts.

thanks jane, what would be the best course of action in that scenario?

thanks jane, what would be the best course of action in that scenario?

First establishing if Dental issues are the primary cause of the problem. It is impossible to give a 'best course of action' until you know exactly what is going on.

Is the Bunny a Lop ?

First establishing if Dental issues are the primary cause of the problem. It is impossible to give a 'best course of action' until you know exactly what is going on.

Is the Bunny a Lop ?

not sure what breed but is not a lop he looks like a mixed breed and very similar to yuki

Yeah I thought as much, thanks for your help though.

Want to move out faster and get this bun with me to get him the help he needs

Back