• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fuming

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
A friend of my OH has a mini lop rabbit. OH tried to put them off getting it as he knew it wouldn't have the life it deserved, but they got it last year anyway :( He and his wife have two young daughters about 2 and 4. On Friday OH said they were going away for the weekend, so I asked 'who's looking after Flopsy??' he said he didn't know. Concerned now, he rang his friend but got no answer. He then text him saying if he didn't have anyone looking after Flopsy I'd be happy to go and do it. Still nothing. So on Saturday I went up to their house to see if she was ok. She was sooo happy to see someone :( she just craved attention, I stayed about an hour just stroking her and playing, I took her a new tunnel (she does have 24hr access to her run) and a ball, and a few treats. She's such a lovely bunny. She had half a bowl of rabbit muesli and a pile of hay, so not too bad. Today I went again to see if anything had changed (ie. Had anyone been to feed her) and NO!! I couldn't believe it :( she just had a few bits that she didn't like in her bowl, and again was desperate for company :( I then had a proper look in her hutch and the bottom level which is her toilet area was disgusting, it obviously hadn't been cleaned for a few weeks :( I had to clean it for her. I found an almost empty bag of shavings, the same amount of straw, and did the best I could. It's really warm weather too and there were flies buzzing about :( I just can't believe they went away for a whole weekend and left her, with no one feeding her or anything :shock: I hate people!!!
And I'm not sure what to do really, as I didn't have permission to be there in the first place :(

If it were me I would confront them about it. I would say if you ever dare do that again I will report you to the RSPCA. But I have no issue losing friends over things like this... :?

If it were me I would confront them about it. I would say if you ever dare do that again I will report you to the RSPCA. But I have no issue losing friends over things like this... :?

Yes I agree totally, but my problem is that in theory I was trespassing on their property, which is illegal :?

Tis a tricky one, but you were concerned for the wellbeing of the bunny. Frankly I'd call the RSPCA anyway, if they even consider leaving a rabbit without any form of care for a weekend they shouldn't be able to have bunnies.

you could say your heard something and thought someone was hurt and went on the property and then saw the state etc... I know its lying.... but as terrible as it is to say i would to save the bun

you could say your heard something and thought someone was hurt and went on the property and then saw the state etc... I know its lying.... but as terrible as it is to say i would to save the bun

:lol: I don't think that would work, as I have to drive to get there!!

the problem also is if you don;lt say anything to them, they wll think its acceptable to be left for that time and may do it again, tthey may thnk oh well she was ok last time, so something needs to be said or done, if you reported to rspca would they assume it was you, do you live nearby ie a neiighbour?
or you could say you where very concerende and admit you went in and glad you did

I'd just b honest, say u tried to contact them to offer Ur services, could not get them so just popped round on the off chance to check on bunny. They are going to know someone has been there anyway if u have taken a tunnel and cleaned her out. To b honest working in the police service I doubt very much u would get charged with trespass under the circumstances, cps wouldn't feel that was in the public interest to persue.....good on you tho for caring x x

I'd just b honest, say u tried to contact them to offer Ur services, could not get them so just popped round on the off chance to check on bunny. They are going to know someone has been there anyway if u have taken a tunnel and cleaned her out. To b honest working in the police service I doubt very much u would get charged with trespass under the circumstances, cps wouldn't feel that was in the public interest to persue.....good on you tho for caring x x

This :) no point in lying. You did what you could to get in touch with them. But leaving a rabbit like that for a weekend is terrible. When we went to Leo and cleaned him out his bed area was filthy hay, just covered in wee and poo :(

Regardless as to whether you removed evidence by cleaning bunster out, they can still be done for abandonment.
There is a legal obligation to check animals at least once in every 24 hour period :)shock: that to me is an awfully longtime for something to go wrong).;)

Good on you, I can't understand someone just not bothering when they had the offer of help:evil:

Trespass is a civil matter, not criminal. They can't call the police just because you were on their land.

And even if they did you could retaliate and report them to the authorities because the rabbit was left on its own and in a bad state. Pity you hadn't taken photos of the state it was in i.e. no food/hay and dirty hutch. I trust it had water? Mine have been drinking quite a bit due to the heat and although they got through 2 hay racks of hay in the day yesterday, barely got through 1 today. (far too many "ay" sounds in that sentence!)

Last edited:
I doubt the RSPCA will do anything just on your say-so without evidence. Next time go check on the bunny then call the RSPCA first to get advice on whether you should put food/water in or if they would be able to send someone out the same day to get the bunny checked.

Back