• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dealing with petrified rabbit?

molly35

Mama Doe
Any tips on dealing with a very scared rabbit apart from letting him know I'm coming and sitting talking to him?

Wherever the rabbits base is (hutch/indoor cage etc) sit near that, but make sure part of it is covered so the rabbit can have some privacy, and to start with I'd just sit near it, take your laptop or a book with you and just sit there, don't do anything, don't make any loud noises or try stroke the rabbit, just let it know you're not a threat and eventually curiosity should bring them round a bit, after a while you could try put some treats in a row from the rabbit to you (but don't touch the bun) so this encourages them out, but again don't make a fuss, don't try praise the rabbit for now just let them know you're a human, you're not scary, and you're just sat minding your own business, do the same if the rabbit comes out to sniff you, if it really is petrified and the first time it's brave enough to come near a giant human hand comes towards it, you'll scare him/her off again. Everything needs to be taken very slowly, one step at a time, hope it works out! :)

from what I know they calm down on dark spaces, you can try to find the bunny a dark angle to relax. and as the forum buddy before me said, don't try to touch him/her for a week, just talk, and don't go near the bunny very quickly.

from what I know they calm down on dark spaces, you can try to find the bunny a dark angle to relax. and as the forum buddy before me said, don't try to touch him/her for a week, just talk, and don't go near the bunny very quickly.

I'm not a forum buddy :oops: :lol:

A breakthrough after just sitting chatting to him then leaving him be he let me feed him some pellets by hand this morning :D step in the right direction

Back