• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Full of dread :-(

k1984

Mama Doe
Dolly's grumpiness hasn't calmed one little bit since getting her spayed. I was putting it down to it just her character and hoping that once the playhouse is built and she gets outside with more space to do as she pleases she'd be happier.
However, today I made a discovery that I think might be contributing to her unhappiness....her teeth are a complete mess :cry: I never thought to check before because she has been eating fine (like a machine!). She also doesn't like being handled much (aggressive girl!) and likes stroking on floor level on her terms. However, today I decided to grapple with her to check her over, and found her front teeth to be long - the top set curling inwards, with one looking like it's about to break with a crack in it, and the bottom set growing upwards out of her mouth.

I'm sad, guilty I didn't noticed earlier (and the vet too who checked her over 3 weeks ago for her spay! :shock: ), but most of all in dread at what this now means for her and me in the future.

Is there anyone with advice out there who could help give me an idea of what to expect with her now and in the long term?

I was going to be be getting her insured too in the next month. I guess this is ruled out too now. :cry:

The important thing is you know now and are acting on it so don't beat yourself up too much. I would have thought the vet would have noticed a problem when they put the tube down her throat for the GA.
With teeth I think it depends on the problem and the rabbit, they all seem very different, but rabbits can do very well without there front teeth if you reach the point where that's necessary.
You can still insure, alot of policies don't cover dental anyway but it at least covers you for everything else.

The important thing is you know now and are acting on it so don't beat yourself up too much. I would have thought the vet would have noticed a problem when they put the tube down her throat for the GA.
With teeth I think it depends on the problem and the rabbit, they all seem very different, but rabbits can do very well without their front teeth if you reach the point where that's necessary.
You can still insure, alot of policies don't cover dental anyway but it at least covers you for everything else.

Hi there. Sorry to hear about your bun's teeth. I have a little girl with no front teeth and she manages fine. But if her teeth only need burring every so often you miight not need to have them out.

My first female rabbit had her front teeth removed :thumb: I insured her, but she was exempt from dental related issues (as most rabbits are anyway)

I personally would be asking on here for a rabbit savvy vet and then moving. I highly doubt these issues came about within 3 weeks :?

I'm seriously opting then in this case to have her incisors taken out. She HATES being handled and I can't see her taking well to frequent teeth burring.
How much are we looking at at incisor removal?
My poor baby :cry:

(Also on the look out for a better vet! I'm NOT impressed that my vet failed to notice the problem when she was spayed 3 weeks ago!!!! :evil: )

aww im so sorry for whats happened:( but we might be able to suggest a good vet in your area if you set up a new thread asking.:wave:

Back