• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long between metacam and anabolic steroids?

LurcherGirl

Mama Doe
My bunny has been on metacam for just a few days, but now want to switch to anabolic steroids. How long should the gap be between finishing the metacam and starting the steroid to avoid any problems? I want to start the steroids as soon as possible so his appetite can pick up, but of course I don't want him to cause any additional pain/problems by overlapping them too soon.

I have no idea. Personally I'd suggest giving your vet a ring in the morning; they are the professionals after all.

The clearance rate for meloxicam is quite quick
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861
but will be influenced by the length of treatement and dose. there is a potential drug interaction between meloxicam and corticosteroids so as Angie B says talk to your vet. I assume your vet has prescribed the steroid so I would have expected them to advise you

Thanks everyone.

I had already talked to my vet and he has given me a time frame of one week - which seems a bit on the long side, but I am happy to stick to that. I was just wondering whether anyone has got any particular experience with bunnies as I can't find anything about it on the internet other than the two drugs are not normally compatible and there needs to be a gap.

Thanks everyone.

I had already talked to my vet and he has given me a time frame of one week - which seems a bit on the long side, but I am happy to stick to that. I was just wondering whether anyone has got any particular experience with bunnies as I can't find anything about it on the internet other than the two drugs are not normally compatible and there needs to be a gap.

Are you referring to Corticosteroids or Anabolic Steroids ??

Corticosteroids

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Dexamethasone.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Prednisolone.htm

Anabolic Steroid

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Nandralone.htm

Thanks Jane. It is anabolic steroids (it's in the title, but it seems that everyone is missing it ;) ). Many thanks for the link which I have read, but it doesn't give any info about the gap between Metacam and anabolic steroid either... unless I am reading it wrong. :(

Why have anabolic steroids been suggested ?

Just curious !! Only time I have had them prescribed is as part of the treatment of a Rabbit in chronic renal failure.

My bunny is now in chronic renal failure and on Fortekor. This means of course he can't have metacam anymore. He eats on and off and has lost a lot of weight. He needs his teeth doing but we won't be able to do that until he has put on a bit more weight. It's to much of a high risk at the moment.

Thanks Jane. It is anabolic steroids (it's in the title, but it seems that everyone is missing it ;) ). Many thanks for the link which I have read, but it doesn't give any info about the gap between Metacam and anabolic steroid either... unless I am reading it wrong. :(

:wave: I didn't miss it, but it's a very unusual treatment and some people think any steroids are anabolic steroids. I'd stick with the vets advice. Given the circumstances, I suspect they are probably allowing a long gap to give the kidneys a break rather than just waiting for the meloxicam to get out of the system.

My bunny is now in chronic renal failure and on Fortekor. This means of course he can't have metacam anymore. He eats on and off and has lost a lot of weight. He needs his teeth doing but we won't be able to do that until he has put on a bit more weight. It's to much of a high risk at the moment.

I am sorry :cry:

Back