• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Enlarged Testicles

Well this is slightly embarrassing because I was under the impression that Harley was a girl, (even though I gave her a somewhat boy name). However now not only am I unsure as to her gender but I am also very worried. I'm assuming Harley is actually a boy and that his testicles are enlarged or swollen. Can you normally see the testicles on a male rabbit and if so what is normal size. Also what can cause this. Harley has an appointment tomorrow but I would still like some input sooner than that if possible. Harley is 3.5 years old so the testicles would have dropped much earlier in life correct? which would mean that this isn't there normal size or I would have been seeing this all along.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, I've only ever had a girl and a neutered boy so don't have much experience, but as far as I know males can be castrated as soon as their testicles descend, which would mean 3 and a half is too old for it to be that. Hope you and your bun get some help tomorrow!

My Izzy had an enlarged testicle from a tumor. It was very obvious that it was enlarged. i'm afraid i don't have any pictures of it though.

Testicles normally drop at around 12 wks.

They do kind of 'let them hang' when it's hot, i think. At least hamsters do..not entirely sure about rabbits.

it could be that every time you've picked him up he sucked his testicles in, so you never noticed them. Rabbits can do that, it's a defense mechanism to protect them I think.

If you could get a pic of them I'm sure people on here could tell you whether they look normal or not :)

If he has not been neutered yes you should be able to see the testicles and they normally do have large ones :oops:

but better to let the vet look at him just to rule out anything else.

Ok thanks for the input. I feel horrible for not knowing Harley was or may be a boy.... They don't seem to be causing any discomfort or at least Harley isn't really paying any attention to them. I'm perplexed.

Back