• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Mr. Darcy! :O(

Hi! I have a 5 year old housetrained Lionhead rabbit, named Mr. Darcy. Yesterday I noticed that he seemed tired. He spent most the day behind the loveseat. I called him to put him up for bed and he didn't come. When I looked behind the loveseat he came toward me slowly. His tail keeps going up and down and his nose is twitching really fast. Today, he has ran to his litter tray and when he gets there he just shakes. No droppings. A few times he looked as if he had the hiccups. I have called many vets within 50 miles. There is one that sees rabbits, but he is on vacation until Monday. I have given him fresh water and unlimited hay. He ate a small bit of cilantro. I also gave him a couple drops of gas drops in his water. Any suggestions? Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for your help!

Very sorry about Mr Darcy but he needs to see a vet immediately. Can you not google vets. Where are you ? Perhaps someone can help find one for you. Monday, sadly may be too late.

Thanks for your reply! I did google vets. I called about 15 in a 50 mile radius. The only one that sees rabbits is out until Monday. I am in Western North Carolina about an hour north of Charlotte. It is now 6PM and after hours.

Thanks for your reply! I did google vets. I called about 15 in a 50 mile radius. The only one that sees rabbits is out until Monday. I am in Western North Carolina about an hour north of Charlotte. It is now 6PM and after hours.

I am sorry, didn't realise you where in the US. There are many members from the US but no one from North Carolina.
The one thing you could try is syringing very cooled boiled water.

Mr. Darcy hates to be picked up, but I figured it was for his own good. I picked him up and while he was lying on his back in my lap, I noticed that his genitals are swollen really bad, too. :O(

I'm sorry to hear your bunny is poorly.
Swollen genitals could be due a few things, the two most obvious being Myxomatosis or rabbit syphilis- I'm sorry, there really is nothing we can suggest other than to get your bunny to a vet as soon as possible. Will the other vets you have contacted not see him at all?

Will none of the vets in your area see him tonight? He needs a vets asap and if he isn't pooing then he probably won't make it to Monday :(

Back