• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rapid weight loss and wee soaked bum? :(

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
Juni has suddenly lost a lot of weight very quickly. I was hoping she'd lose a bit a few months ago and she did loose some slowly over a month or so but and was on a hay diet until about 6 weeks ago to sort out her sensitive tummy. But just very recently she lost some more and last night she suddenly looks scary, like a frail skeleton. :cry: Just last week I was happy with her weight but now it's like she's got nothing on her and she feels so light and empty. She's still eating loads but she doesn't quite seem herself either. The others can easily take food off her so last night I sat with her and hand fed her pellets so she ate enough.

She also had a really badly wee soaked bum yesterday, all over her legs and bum was dripping with wee even though her litter tray is cleaned daily and she's a house bun. I gave her a bath but it was just as bad again today. I'm really worried about her :( She is booked in at the vets tomorrow morning but I was wondering what the best way to maintain her weight is and if anyone had any ideas or advice before I go.

Thanks a lot,
Em

I'd be worried about her kidneys (or possibly EC) :(

porridge, baby food and the little round things you feed horses are good for weight gain :wave:

Thanks for the reply

I took her to the vets this morning. They found some tooth spurs in her mouth and, even though she is eating, it might explain the weight loss as she is eating slowly and her two friends are taking most of it off her. She is also not eating hay (I realsied this after sitting with her last night), so apart from the pellets and the fresh food (which is stolen off her) all she has to eat all day is hay and she's not eating it.

I have started sitting with her and hand feeding her pellets and fresh food (and lost of porridge oats which she absolutely loves) so the others dont take it and I have also been picking them loads fresh grass which she is really enjoying. She has put weight on over night and already looks more like a bunny. Her tummy feels full rather than completely empty.

She's booked in for a dental and we're hoping she'll be fine. The vet put her on panacure just in case as such a rapid weight loss is always worrying and, having lost a bunny in the past to EC, I really don't want to take any chances.

So we'll keep our fingers crossed and see how she is after her dental...

Also can I ask what the 'round things' are please lol I've never heard of them before!

Last edited:
Good news! I wouldnt feed the oats without soaking them :wave: (dont want them swelling and upsetting her tummy) Im still trying to think what they're called.... Let me go and google!

Back