• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bramble limping AGAIN! :(

BrambleBerry

Warren Scout
Please see http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?348413-Bramble-hind-leg-problem-UD-help-needed-please for more information.

I took bramble to the vets earlier this week as she was limping. But by the time the vet saw her she was hopping fine. She said the two pink spots on her heels (hind legs) were due to me not exercising her enough (she gets free roam time when i am home). Nothing was done about her leg and the vet made me feel very stupid.

Today i had a look at Brambles hind feet at the pink spots. There was no change, however she kicked out at me for picking her up. Now she is limping again and not putting her weight on the same hind leg as before. Am i right in thinking the vet has missed something? I am now very worried again and i feel like my visit to the vets last time was a waste of time!

Now i don't know what to do :( Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

The pink spots on her heels sounds like either pressure spots or the start of sore hocks. Sounds to me like the vet doesn't have a clue. Sore hocks is not always due to lack of exercise, it's usually from sitting on a rough surface such as carpet or something similar. My bunny is free range in my bedroom, he has the full run of my room 24/7 and yet still has sore hocks.

Personally I would make another appointment with a rabbit savvy vet. Your bunny must be in pain if she isn't even weight bearing on that leg. :(

I have bought vet bed for the dog crate the buns are in to try and help if it is pressure related. I will try and get pics when my OH gets in later. I am so worried about her. My vet was on holiday so it was a stand in that saw her. My usual vet is brilliant but i don't know if he is back yet so i will source another vet if he is still on holiday.

How much time does she spend in the crate? It could be from sitting too long if she is confined to a crate for long periods as the vet mentioned. If they are in there for hours at a time then it might be an idea to set up a pen or something similar for them to have some time out of the crate whilst you are not in. This might help with the pressure spots. What does she free range on? Laminate/carpet etc? My room is half laminate and half rugs and I have put vet bed all over but they refuse to sit on it :roll:
Also cutting her nails on her back feet may help if they are a bit long. Sometimes they will force the bunny to hop slightly differently and cause the sore spots.

I would deffo get her to a vet asap if she is not using that leg. Sometimes a bunny with EC can develop a limp/weakness so it's important to find a vet that knows bunnies. Typical that this happens whilst your usual vet is away!

Sending her vibes. x

Thank you for your advice :) they are in an XL dog crate that has the door off and has a pen attached to it 24/7 so the space isn't small. When they are free roaming it is all on carpet. I never thought or EC :( would Alfie not show signs of anything too though? He is with her 24/7 and he has had no issues so far.

I trimmed her nails 3 days ago (roughly). I just find it strange that she started limping again after she tried to kick me. Could she have dislocated it maybe?

Thank you for your advice :) they are in an XL dog crate that has the door off and has a pen attached to it 24/7 so the space isn't small. When they are free roaming it is all on carpet. I never thought or EC :( would Alfie not show signs of anything too though? He is with her 24/7 and he has had no issues so far.

I trimmed her nails 3 days ago (roughly). I just find it strange that she started limping again after she tried to kick me. Could she have dislocated it maybe?

It's difficult to tell why she would be limping without a vet check and xrays. Quite often only one bunny may show signs of EC but if it is EC they will both need to be wormed just in case, not all buns will show symptoms of it.

Their accommodation sounds good tbh, a lot of people have that setup so I don't understand why your vet said she isn't getting enough exercise :?

Just a thought, how old are your bunnies? Could she be suffering with arthritis at all? An on/off limp would be something I would want checking thoroughly tbh.

Back