• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thick Yellow Discharge from Rabbit Rear

Katiec

New Kit
Hey

My rabbit Hubba has been back and forth to the vet this week as he has an unexplained illness, first I was informed he just missed me after a weekend away, then it was snuffles and possible tooth root absess, and we are now onto GI Statis. I quite believe he does have GI statis but the underlying cause has yet to be identified. Hubba was in for all day observation today and ate a little but did not pass any poop. This is an improvement as I have been force feeding him for two days. The vet did however find that his back passage was blocked by a thick yellowish discharge. They cleared this twice today and I have to continue to do this over the weekend. The vet has no idea what this is and has never seen it before. Can anyone advise me of what this is? He is still active and bright but I'm concerned how long he will continue to be if he doesn't start going to the toilet.

Thanks
Katie

Did the Vet run any diagnostics ?

Bloods ?

Abdominal U/S ?

Endoscopy ?

What medication is he on ?

I am more than a little surprised that he has been sent home :?

ETA Can you post a photo of the 'discharge' ?

No they have just observed him. The vets view is that he would like to give the meds time to kick in and see if they get him eating before putting him under anaesthetic for X-rays and tests. He has been on antibiotics and a guy stimulant since Tuesday ( orally) he has had several pain injections and guy stimulant injections this week and today he has had a week long antibiotic injection, pain killer and guy stimulant. It concerns me just how much medication is being pumped into him. He is just over two and always been very healthy.

I tried to take a picture there but the poor wee guy is so stressed out he is shaking and panicking so I put him down again. From the vets description it is gel like and very thick. He informed me that I will need to pull it out.

Thanks
Katie

Yeah started after the antibiotics. Prior to the antibiotics he had diarrhoea.

I have been orally administering baytril 2.5% and I don't know the name of the injections he has been having.

Yes the vet said it was like mucus.

Thanks
Katie

I am sorry that Hubba is having such a hard week. I hopehegets better soon and you get rid of the mucus. I am afraid this is well beyond me so can't offer constructive advice other than listen to Jacks-Jane, she is a fantastic bunny health person.

Yeah started after the antibiotics. Prior to the antibiotics he had diarrhoea.

I have been orally administering baytril 2.5% and I don't know the name of the injections he has been having.

Yes the vet said it was like mucus.

Thanks
Katie

To me it sounds like a Mucoid Enteritis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Mucoid_EnteropathyRabbits.htm

Is he eating at all ?

How Rabbit Savvy is your Vet ?

To be honest I would consider seeking a second opinion from another Vet. One who has a lot of experience in treating Rabbits. Some Vets may be great with Cats and Dogs but their Rabbit knowledge may be very limited. If you post a thread in 'Rabbit Chat' titled ' URGENT-Rabbit Savvy Vet Needed in *insert location*' someone may be able to recommend one.

I thought they were quite savvy. It is in a pet store that sells rabbit and other small animals. But I think A second opinion is needed.

Thank you very much for all your help. It is very much appreciated!!

Katie & Hubba

Back