• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering Information - Stephen is Visiting the Plum Fairy

Cari

Warren Veteran
So Stephen is booked in on Tuesday (9:15) to visit the Plum Fairy. :shock:
Don't tell him though...

I don't want to hear horror stories please, I am worried enough as it is about my baby going under a GA, I would just like someone to point me in the right direction for some decent information about how the operation will be performed/ how long it will take etc (or if you know yourself from experience)
I would also like some (not too scary) information about the anaesthetic and the risks involved in putting a rabbit under GA. I'd like to know whether there are different types of anaesthetic as there are for people and if there are some which are better than others?

If you have had a positive experience of putting your bunny under a GA then please let me know :) Stephen is two in August and we are having him 'done' so that he can have a wifey bun soon :thumb:

This talks about things you can do before, on the day and after to help make it easier which might be worth a read :)

Had a lot of neuters here with no issues :) They mostly come home full of life and 'normal' to be honest.

Geoff sailed through his no problems at all. He was a little reluctant to eat after, but I got him his favourite noms and he tucked in (bramble tips).
My only real concern was the following day after the vet told me to make sure he stays on the floor and no running around. This is Geoff, he goes everywhere at a million miles an hour, and I could not keep him calm. It was like trying to stop the tide!
He was none the worse for wear though and bonded exactly 10 days later;):D

charlie was back to normal by the following morning-he did NOT like being confined!:shock: :lol:

Rupert was back to normal that evening. I checked his wound each evening until I could see it had healed :) absolutely no problems at all

This talks about things you can do before, on the day and after to help make it easier which might be worth a read :)

Had a lot of neuters here with no issues :) They mostly come home full of life and 'normal' to be honest.

Thanks a lot, very helpful website, I wouldn't have thought to keep him confined and I'm getting him used to his syringe after we had a lot of trouble with it last time! Hopefully with a bit of fruit squash he'll get used to it.

Glad to hear your neuters have been OK and that he will hopefully be alright by the time he gets home.

Geoff sailed through his no problems at all. He was a little reluctant to eat after, but I got him his favourite noms and he tucked in (bramble tips).
My only real concern was the following day after the vet told me to make sure he stays on the floor and no running around. This is Geoff, he goes everywhere at a million miles an hour, and I could not keep him calm. It was like trying to stop the tide!
He was none the worse for wear though and bonded exactly 10 days later;):D

Thanks a lot :) I've just bought some coriander and parsley and my basil plant has got some nice big leaves on it. I've also got an apple which I can cut a slice out of for him and on Tuesday I'll pick some hawthorn and dandelions for him so he's got a choice of everything :)

Stephen has a habit of hopping onto the sofa but other than that he likes being on the floor so will just have to remind the OH not to pick him up for cuddles :thumb:

I think we'll be waiting longer than that for him to be bonded, about 6-8 weeks, because he's so randy at the moment I think he'd hump every girl he met to death!! :lol:

I set up a lovely puppy pen nursing area for Louie when he was neutered. Lovely soft towels on the floor, hay in a rack etc.

Brought him home and put him in the pen. He started trashing it, lifting the pen up with his teeth to get out.

I left him for 10 minutes and let him out! He just freeranged as normal and you wouldn't even have guessed he had had an operation :roll:

He will be fine :D:D:D. I can't WAIT to see him with his new wifey :love:

Thank you :D Aww, me too, I fell in love with the beautiful Jinty from Honeybunnies when she last came to visit I am rather selfishly hoping she is still available to be rehomed in September (as horrible as that makes me as it means she won't have found a loving home before then :oops:)

I set up a lovely puppy pen nursing area for Louie when he was neutered. Lovely soft towels on the floor, hay in a rack etc.

Brought him home and put him in the pen. He started trashing it, lifting the pen up with his teeth to get out.

I left him for 10 minutes and let him out! He just freeranged as normal and you wouldn't even have guessed he had had an operation :roll:

I don't have a puppy pen but his cage is indoors, it's quite small though although I don't suppose it would kill him to keep him in it overnight just to reduce his movement to keep his stitches intact!

:lol: Naughty Louie!!

I'll make a note to think of Stephen on Tuesday. :wave:

I was a real wimp and postponed having Spenser done for ages ... he was fine, but milked his convalescence a bit. Be sure to keep busy on the day, as time can really drag when you are waiting for news.

Good luck!

My very first rabbit (a dutch rabbit given to me by my uncle because my aunt was allergic) was neutered with no problems. I kept him in my room to recover and the first day/night he was quiet but ate. The next day he was running around like nothing happened.

Good luck!

My very first rabbit (a dutch rabbit given to me by my uncle because my aunt was allergic) was neutered with no problems. I kept him in my room to recover and the first day/night he was quiet but ate. The next day he was running around like nothing happened.

Thank you :) Hopefully Stephen will be up and about fairly quickly!

Hi Cari. Scarlet has had 6 GAs in the last 14 months for dentals and has been absolutely fine.

Thanks for this :) it does make me feel better to know that bunnies have done well with their anaesthetic :)

Hector was fab when his furry teabags were removed. Vet told me to take him at 10.30 am so he could more or less go straight in and save too much stress, they rang me at 11.20am to say all done and dusted and he coped fine:D by 12 noon he was nomming his herbs and home by two pm. He was a little quiet for about 24 hrs but tucked into everything as usual. I made sure he had lots of "yellow pages" to rip up ( he has a bit of a thing for them:shock:) :lol: and things which he could rip up to keep him entertained and not bother with his stitches. All went great and I'm sure it will for Stephen sending vibes for tuesday:wave:

Andrew had his visit to the plum fairy on Thursday, he seems to be fine and recovered well from the GA. he is in a bit of a huff with me though but is fine with the OH. I'm a horrible mummy making the decision to have him de plummed. To make up for it I've ordered a bag of noms from Parsleys mum :love:

Don't worry, not had to take a boy for neutering as they were already done. 4 boys:wave:

Had my girl spayed at 5, as she was an older bun when we got her. She was fine.

Andrew had his visit to the plum fairy on Thursday, he seems to be fine and recovered well from the GA. he is in a bit of a huff with me though but is fine with the OH. I'm a horrible mummy making the decision to have him de plummed. To make up for it I've ordered a bag of noms from Parsleys mum :love:

Ha! He hates the vets so I'm sure I'll have a huffy boy too! Bless them, wouldn't change him for the world though :love:

Thanks everyone, it's made me feel better :)

Back