• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Being ordered to groom?!

lilgems91

Mama Doe
In the last year or so, my bun Benjamin has been letting me stroke him and give him fuss, but as soon as I start to stroke him he flattens down to the floor with his hips sticking out, and closes his eyes, more in a relaxed way than a scared way!

If I then stop stroking him he will nudge me to carry on, and can be quite persistant! After Ive stroked him he will then lick my hand.

Is this my rabbits way of asking me to groom him?!

Yep, my Bella does this! I think it means something along the lines of "Hey! DID I TELL YOU YOU COULD STOP?" :lol:

In the last year or so, my bun Benjamin has been letting me stroke him and give him fuss, but as soon as I start to stroke him he flattens down to the floor with his hips sticking out, and closes his eyes, more in a relaxed way than a scared way!

If I then stop stroking him he will nudge me to carry on, and can be quite persistant! After Ive stroked him he will then lick my hand.

Is this my rabbits way of asking me to groom him?!

Awww that's lovely, he's clearly enjoying your company. It does sound like he would like you to carry on with what you're doing and only stop when HE says so! :lol:

One of my rabbits, Charlie, does the same thing and I'm not allowed to stop until he gets up and walks away, which can be 15 minutes or longer sometimes. At least you get some grooming back in return, I don't.

Aww, thanks for the replies :love:

When you catch him in the right mood, as soon as you start to stroke him he flattens down on the floor :love:

Most times he will lick my hand back, sometimes not, depends on his mood ;)

Yep, my Bella does this! I think it means something along the lines of "Hey! DID I TELL YOU YOU COULD STOP?" :lol:

So true! :lol:

You can try it back - stick your hand or your face under HIS chin! Sometimes you will get a lick...but if bunny has decided they are the dominant one, the just look at you in clear disdain. :lol:

So true! :lol:

You can try it back - stick your hand or your face under HIS chin! Sometimes you will get a lick...but if bunny has decided they are the dominant one, the just look at you in clear disdain. :lol:

Just tried this, and he ignored it totally! Then he let his head rest in my hand, but wouldnt lick!! :lol:

My rabbit elvis will come and dig at me till I stroke him he then hops on my lap and relaxes, as soon as I'm in the room he's there at my lap lol :)

yeah Chrisi does that too. She can't stop licking me sometimes, and she wants her stroking time! I suppose that's normal since she's my only rabbit and we spend much time together.she especially enjoys her tummy massages after the dentals, and the head scratching:)

Back