• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Syringe feeding

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone had to syringe feed a bunny long term before? If so how long did you manage to do it for and was bunny Ok in the end?

I am stressing big time :(

10 days is the longest. The Rabbit had Dental Disease and struggled after Incisor extraction. She did recover in that she was able to eat for herself again. She did need a second Dental after just 2 weeks though as 10 days of only liquid feed meant molar spurs regrew.

I syringe fed Hay Monster for 10weeks- completely at first and then supplementing his grass eating at the end. He obviously was not ok in the end but I know his syringe feeding times of day were his favourites. Were mine too. Right to the end.

Not sure that will help with your bunny though.

Thank you, he is a young healthy and very lively bunny, I have no idea if I can get enough food into him just by syringe feeding and weather his guts will keep going just on syringe food :(

I am syringing both critical care and organic veg baby food to give him variety. I don't know what else to do.

Add to that the fact that he is terrorising the rest of the group as he is top bun and is feeling vulnerable and threatened, it is a complete nightmare :(

Good luck Liz. If you're both fighting together (which obviously you are) I hope you both get the out one you're fighting for. All you can do is try.

Good luck Liz. If you're both fighting together (which obviously you are) I hope you both get the out one you're fighting for. All you can do is try.

Thank you, I think I am going to need it. I couldn't bear to lose him over something so stupid :(

I syringe fed one bun for about 3 months. His back legs stopped working so he couldn't reach his food, but was otherwise OK. Looking back, he probably had EC. We did get him on to lapping from a spoon or small saucer eventually, and he made a partial recovery. I just took him everywhere to keep him fed, clean and entertained. He was a very small, handleable bunny and it didn't bother him so I just kept going.

Back