• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it 'wrong' to say 'enough is enough' earlier with some bunnies than others?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
As above please.

Talking in terms of dental abscess's (well, actually osteomyelitis) and a bunny not getting all he used to from life and struggling to tolerate his med regime, not wanting to try new foods that may be easier to eat and also no hope of complete recovery just hope for managing it but that he doesn't cope with that and that diagnosis only came two days ago.

Trying 'less' than you might with other bunnies who can tolerate the meds and eat a variety of foods, etc.

And also talking in terms of my broken heart and making sure I'm not stuffing this up.

Each bun is individual and some don't want to fight. Trust your instinct his eyes will give you the answer! You won't stuff up, you always do what's right, hugs xxx

I have had some Rabbits who could not tolerate a lot of hands on care for medicating etc. Their lives would have become a misery as their conditions were never going to get better and having no medication would mean they would also suffer. So yes, I have let them go sooner than I might have done if they were of a different personality. I am sure that you will do what is right for the individual Rabbit and I am sorry that you are faced with a very difficult decision about a much loved friend xx

In answer to the title no I don't think it is wrong. If there is no hope of a cure, if the stress of trying to make them comfortable out ways the comfort they are getting, if all the future holds is deterioration, then I wouldn't have a problem saying enough is enough.

If all they are doing is surviving then ask what are they surviving for :? Do they have anything to live for or anything to look forward to or is every day the same pain and stress?

I hope you find the answer you are looking for x

I have had some Rabbits who could not tolerate a lot of hands on care for medicating etc. Their lives would have become a misery as their conditions were never going to get better and having no medication would mean they would also suffer. So yes, I have let them go sooner than I might have done if they were of a different personality. I am sure that you will do what is right for the individual Rabbit and I am sorry that you are faced with a very difficult decision about a much loved friend xx

My thoughts exactly so to answer your question ' no it is not wrong.'

Thanks guys. You reassured me in what I've been thinking :)

Glad you have found the reassurance you needed. You know your rabbits so well and you know what each of them will tolerate and still have a decent quality of life. I always think that just because we can keep animals alive doesn't mean we should.

I agree too, I'd say it's more wrong to treat/consider them all In the the same way rather than taking account of the individuals that they are.

(((hugs)))

Thanks. I'm feeling a mix of things but one of them is guilt for not fighting hard enough because I can't fix him. I've done all I can and kept fighting for more and more but I can't make him better and he can't tolerate it like someone like Wish would. He can't even tolerate the meds. Hes 'ok' but he's not going to improve much and having an abscess myself I don't ever want that for any of them. He is on anti bios (which he hates). I don't know how long it would take to show improvement so if he doesn't improve after that then that has to be it. I feel so guilty saying that. Like I'm giving up in him. This is normally such an easy decision! This time it's not.

I don't think it's wrong. I have more of a problem with people keeping a pet going for their own benefit when it has no quality of life, that's wrong.

Thanks. I'm feeling a mix of things but one of them is guilt for not fighting hard enough because I can't fix him. I've done all I can and kept fighting for more and more but I can't make him better and he can't tolerate it like someone like Wish would. He can't even tolerate the meds. Hes 'ok' but he's not going to improve much and having an abscess myself I don't ever want that for any of them. He is on anti bios (which he hates). I don't know how long it would take to show improvement so if he doesn't improve after that then that has to be it. I feel so guilty saying that. Like I'm giving up in him. This is normally such an easy decision! This time it's not.

I know it doesn't help how you feel today but long term you will feel much more guilty if you push him longer than you know you should of.

Wanting him to have a release from a body of pain and suffering that is unlikely to end and allowing him to go to the bridge and be at peace is never something to feel guilty about. easier said than done I know, though x

I know it doesn't help how you feel today but long term you will feel much more guilty if you push him longer than you know you should of.

Wanting him to have a release from a body of pain and suffering that is unlikely to end and allowing him to go to the bridge and be at peace is never something to feel guilty about. easier said than done I know, though x

You're totally right which means it does help today. Thank you :)

Back