• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats my rabbit???

zep0000

New Kit
Hi guys, I'm new here but this post is not for introductions! I've had my princess and pancake for a year now i re homed them for somebody. I was told they were girls until i noticed strange behaviour. I sexed them both and found pancake to be male. I separated them and then 4 weeks ago princess gave birth to a litter of 7 kits. Unfortunately one died on day 2 but the rest are doing fine. I've managed to find homes for most of the babies but a couple came to see about one the other day and when they asked what breed they were i said mini lop as this is what I'd been told by the previous owner, however the couple seemed to think they were not mini lop's but indeed French lop's. I've looked at pics on the net but i still don't have a clue. They are a bit bigger than i would have expected for mini lops though. Here's some pics anyway, princess is the white one. Hope you experts can clear this up for me!

P050712_1205.jpg

P050712_1212.jpg

Last edited:
You posted the wrong links :)

You need the tags from photobucket, not the HTML ones :)

Welcome btw :wave:

They could be dwarf lops :)

Make sure you home check the future owner's house. Make sure they provide the minimum space for a rabbit, or two.
And test their rabbit knowledge could give them leaflets etc.

They could be dwarf lops :)

Make sure you home check the future owner's house. Make sure they provide the minimum space for a rabbit, or two.
And test their rabbit knowledge could give them leaflets etc.

Hi there, thanks for the tips! Wouldn't dwarf lops be smaller? ive home checked the 4 that have been reserved already and i intend to do it with the others also. I hate the thought of them going anywhere that could jeopardise their well being. The leaflets are a great idea though, thank you! :D

To prevent another litter I recommend neutering them both.
Neutering will not only prevent litters but hormonal problems as well, not to mention uterine cancer in females above the age of 4.

ETA: When you take them to be neutered the vet might tell you if you have giants or dwarves

French lops are giant breeds these are small i would have thought dwarf lop:wave:

I will get a photo together of me holding them then you will have a better idea of the size. I don't think their that big either. I'm not sure how much they weigh but i suppose i could find out if that would help?! Could they be cross bred? :D

Hi there, thanks for the tips! Wouldn't dwarf lops be smaller? ive home checked the 4 that have been reserved already and i intend to do it with the others also. I hate the thought of them going anywhere that could jeopardise their well being. The leaflets are a great idea though, thank you! :D

A common misconception.

Mini Lop > Dwarf Lop > French Lop > Giant huge bunneh!

To prevent another litter I recommend neutering them both.
Neutering will not only prevent litters but hormonal problems as well, not to mention uterine cancer in females above the age of 4.

Hi, yes defo doing that now i know! lol, pancake was done last Tuesday and princess will be as soon as she's finished looking after the little ones :D

I see! thanks Graham, so is dwarf lop the most probable? What's the difference between dwarf and mini lops? :)

Mini lops have a flatter face, a bit like theyve been hit by a frying pan :shock:

Dwarf lops are a little larger too.

Mini lops are ~0.8-1.5Kg's in my brief experience and dwarf lops from 1.5-3Kg's. VERY rough weights. I have two dwarf lops (one is a lionlop) and one is 1.6Kg's, and one is 2.2Kg's.

Mini lops have a flatter face, a bit like theyve been hit by a frying pan :shock:

Dwarf lops are a little larger too.

Mini lops are ~0.8-1.5Kg's in my brief experience and dwarf lops from 1.5-3Kg's. VERY rough weights. I have two dwarf lops (one is a lionlop) and one is 1.6Kg's, and one is 2.2Kg's.

I'm going to weigh them i think, it would be beneficial for their health i think also. I'm very much on the idea of dwarf lop now thanks to you guys! :D

Back