• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training?

slushy

New Kit
i'm new to this, so i'm curious... how do you litter train a bunny? i'm sure it's not as simple as buying a litter box &putting it out... I'd like to let Slushy run around more, but finding rabbit dropping everywhere afterward isn't fun. :( help please

i'm new to this, so i'm curious... how do you litter train a bunny? i'm sure it's not as simple as buying a litter box &putting it out... I'd like to let Slushy run around more, but finding rabbit dropping everywhere afterward isn't fun. :( help please

If he poops in a place pick it up and put it into his litter box, the scent will make him more likely to go in the same place and then hell just get used to it its quite a simple thing just may take a week or so!

Hi there Slushy, welcome to the forum :D:wave:

LiamP has given good advice. Bunnies are really quite intelligent and most pick up litter training quickly. If he already has a corner he poops in, put the tray there, as if he has decided on a spot you don't want to confuse him by changing it. Any wees can be soaked up with kitchen roll or tissue and stuck in there too. Don't tell him off for any accidents as bunnies just do not understand. Much better is to give him a reward when he goes into the tray, a pellet or a sliver of food, as he will associate the tray with delicious noms.

People use different things for their litter trays. The cheapest is shredded newspaper with a big chunk of hay on top, as lots of bunnies like to eat hay while they poop (goodness knows why :lol:). Some people use something called megazorb instead of newspaper, which is paper pulp, and others use compressed wooden pellets, my personal favourite as they are very absorbent. Keeping the tray nice and clean will encourage Slushy to go to it often.

Is Slushy neutered? If not, that may be why he is leaving droppings everywhere when he gets out, he is marking his territory. Neutering prevents this, and also stops hormonal behaviour like spraying, honking and aggression when his hormones kick in, assuming he is a young bunny.

If you struggle to get him litter trained you can always pop back and ask questions. :)

That's exactly what I did with Louie, and Tinkerbell before, and they both used the tray from day 1!

Maybe I was just lucky but I've never had any problems :p

thanks for the advice everyone, i'll be trying it out soon... he does have a specific place he likes to poop, unfortunately it's on this huge stuffed animal that my boyfriend won at a carnival in california. :/ other than that, he poops or pees whenever the cats come into our room (which makes me think he's being territorial as someone mentioned). he's a good rabbit tho... very smart. he knows his name and everything which makes me think he'll take pretty quickly to litter training... i'm hopeful anyway. :)

Back