• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pineapple for moulting rabbit: good or bad?

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
Hi, one of my rabbits (pretty sure its Walter) seems to be having stringy poos which I'm pretty sure is hair from his moulting.

I have tried to look and people seem to suggest using pineapple juice for a short period whilst they are moulting. But then other people said this is a no-go as it is sugary.

I just wondered if someone with experience could point me in the right direction?

Should it be real pineapple juice or is the canned juice ok? Should it be pure or diluted a bit? How much is ok to give?

Thanks in advance :)

bad bad bad.

There are mixed schools of thought on that.

There's too much sugar in pineapple. It can upset the gut too much. The bromaline in pineapple (sp) can cause the gut flora to become upset.

The fact that fur/hair is coming out in joint poops is brilliant as it means the gut is processing it.

ETA: a quote from a similar thread this morning, my post;

That's actually a really good sign that they are coming out stringy. It shows the gut is processing them perfectly.

I would never use pineapple to try and help as there are multiple schools of thought and one of them is that the bromaline (sp?) which is in pineapple helps the gut to process the fur etc, but the problem is, all the sugar and other things in pineapple can actually upset the gut even more and make things worse. Especially when you've commented you have uneaten caecals and possibly soft, wet poops. I would ensure they are having lots of long fibre and possibly withold any veggies for a week or so so they are both on very high fibre diets, basically hay and small amount of pellets only.

Last edited:
I belong to the don't use pineapple school. My reasons for this belief are:

1. Pineapple like other fruits contains fructose a natural sugar which can potentially cause dysbiosis in a rabbit's G.I.

2. Bromelain is an enzyme contained in pineapple which can break down some protein and is used as a meat tenderiser for this reason, BUT it has not been shown to break down the protein in hair, keratin.

3. If a rabbit is still eating as a hair ball develops in the GI the hair ball can trap some of the food forming a larger mass to shift through the GI tract. At that time pineapple's bromelain MAY assist by breaking down trapped food protein and possibly loosening the hair ball enough to let it pass without surgical intervention, but that is speculative.

Just a thought but I was given some sort of paste for my cats when they get hairballs...I wonder if there is a rabbit version?

I always think its best just brushing out as much of the old fur as possible each day then they don't digest as much.

Just a thought but I was given some sort of paste for my cats when they get hairballs...I wonder if there is a rabbit version?

I always think its best just brushing out as much of the old fur as possible each day then they don't digest as much.

If mine are struggling with their moult I give them fibreplex for rabbits, it's just fibre basically which helps everything pass through. It's carrot flavour too so mine think they're getting a treat! :wave:

Where do you get this from?

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/small...texin-fibreplex-for-rabbits-15ml-syringe.html

I completely agree with this

I belong to the don't use pineapple school. My reasons for this belief are:

1. Pineapple like other fruits contains fructose a natural sugar which can potentially cause dysbiosis in a rabbit's G.I.

2. Bromelain is an enzyme contained in pineapple which can break down some protein and is used as a meat tenderiser for this reason, BUT it has not been shown to break down the protein in hair, keratin.

3. If a rabbit is still eating as a hair ball develops in the GI the hair ball can trap some of the food forming a larger mass to shift through the GI tract. At that time pineapple's bromelain MAY assist by breaking down trapped food protein and possibly loosening the hair ball enough to let it pass without surgical intervention, but that is speculative.

Back