• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing a new rabbit's diet

Hello!

I am soon to get a rabbit and wanted some advice.

I have some experience of looking after rabbits, but this will be the first time I get to call one ‘mine’ (and my boyfriend’s), so this is the first time I’ll be in charge of actually changing a rabbit’s lifestyle* - I’m sure I’ll have many questions along the way!

The rabbit is currently fed mostly pellets, some hay, and very occasion greens, and this obviously needs to be changed. I’ve read that any change in food should be done gradually, but wasn’t sure if this included increasing hay amounts?

I could, and probably will, borrow a certain amount of the pellets that he’s currently used to so that I can change him over gradually to my brand of choice (not sure exactly what he currently eats, it might not need to change if the fibre levels are right), and I’m fine with doing that. But does the same need to be done with hay? I know rabbits are sensitive to these things, so I want to be careful, especially as he’ll probably already be stressed by the change of location and suddenly being around people far more often.

As for decreasing pellets while increasing hay – does this have to be done gradually too? I obviously want to encourage him to eat more hay, but don’t want to starve him by taking away 90% of the pellets immediately in case he’s going to take a while to adjust to unlimited quantities of hay… or is this a good thing because it will force him to get used to hay?

I just want to know what's best so I can get him the best quality of life as soon as possible.

In summary:

Do pellets need to be changed from one type to another gradually?
Does hay need to be changed from one type to another gradually?
Can I reduce the amount of pellets and increase the amount of hay immediately, or should this be done gradually?

Thank you!!

*The rabbit currently lives in a situation where it’s always in its too-small hutch, has very little human interaction, and I don’t think it’s ever had vaccinations. He isn’t neutered, and I’m not even sure he’s had his claws clipped or teeth checked. He’s always got food and water, so his most basic needs are currently being met, but he's certainly not cared for in the way I would choose!

I have never rationed hay even for the newbies.
In fact when I have a rabbit come in with the museli type food, they are invariable picky and don't eat it, so we go hay only or hay and forage if bun is used to some forage for a week or so, then I slowly add in a few pellets of Science selective.
Right now though none of mine are getting any pellets at all, but that's because I'm a wicked bunny mummy;)

When we adopted our two from the rescue they came with a certain amount of the muesli-type food. We used this to gradually swap them over to Science Selective. On top of that we kept their hay full, fortunately they took to eating plenty of it straight away. I don't think there is any problem giving them large quantities of hay straight off the bat, I think the big issue with pellets and veg is that the balance of nutrients they start to get is different from usual, and their little bodies aren't always great at adapting to sudden changes. That being said I haven't yet had any problems with ours food-wise. No upset tummies from veg, and no aversion to a pellet change-over. Biggest issue we had was when our housemate rabbit-sat and wasn't giving them enough hay (despite being given strict instructions), and I got back to little dark poops and spent my first night watching them like a hawk for any signs of struggles. Now that they're back on their normal quantities they're poop-perfect again.

Quick answers: (;))
1) I've always heard it's best to a do a gradual switch
2) I've had no problems changing hays over with mine, nor with increasing quantities.
3) We gave them slightly more than what we do now to begin with, but I don't think reducing pellets straight off is much of a problem, except that you may get some incredible sad-eyed poses.

Do pellets need to be changed from one type to another gradually? Yes. I personally would gradually reduce whatever fod he is on until he is fed a healthier amount that works for him and after he is stable on that for two or so weeks, then start to slowly change
Does hay need to be changed from one type to another gradually? Anything with 'bits' should be introduced as you would introduce any other new food- which is gradually, in case they react to the 'bits'. Standard, plain hay should be fine to be introduced in unlimited amounts but some types of hay disagree with some bunnies so keep an eye for things like excess caecotrophs and anything else that may indicate an unhappy gut.
Can I reduce the amount of pellets and increase the amount of hay immediately, or should this be done gradually? As above, for both my answers :) I would gradually reduce the pellets, by a pinch every 2 days or so, but you can pile in unlimited plain hay straight away :)

This is my website and the info I give to all owners, new and old, who adopt from our RSPCA. It may be of use to you :) http://flashsplace.webs.com/rabbitcareinformation.htm

Thanks for all your responses! You pretty much reinforced what I already thought which is reassuring!

It's good to know you're all here to talk to and help me with any other questions I might have! :D

A good home delivery hay company is the Hay Experts online, they have starter taster packs. Ours love the cheap meadow hay, and love green oat hay but it gives them a bit of runs if you give too much.

Back