• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This wet weather and my rabbits feet!

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
Well this rain and Rodge & Orlas love of sitting out in their run getting drenched has finally caught up with them! :roll:

I noticed one of Rodges feet looking a little untidy, at first I thought it was matting but after a much closer look, I found the fur soaked and the skin raw. Orla was the same!

Rushed them to the vets and thankfully no infection was there. I was advised to keep them off the grass in wet weather and shut them in their shed to prevent them from sitting in a wet run.

Seems they are both healing well but wanted to give you lot a heads up.

The combination of the mild weather, wet ground and 2 silly buns has caused this.

Please check your buns feet! :wave: Especially if they are like my two! :roll::lol:

Jenny

xxxx

Silly bunnies! Glad you're managing to keep them dry!

On hanging out at Rabbit Residence this week, in the rain, I found several similar daft bunnies. Two big lops had to be swapped into a shed (despite having dry hutches, they insisted on sitting in the run in the rain) and had got quite damp underneath and their fur and had dried and just matted, a thorough groom and a dry shed should see them right! Lops have rubbish fur :(

I'm lucky enough to have an 8ft x 6ft shed for them so dont feel so bad shutting them in when its raining. :D

The vet said 'Oh, something like this usually happens when rabbits are living in their own pee and poop!' :shock: I was mortified! I then proceeded to show her various pics of their set up and stressed that they get cleaned out everyday/every other day.

Don't get me started about the time I found giant fleas on them...the vet had only seen them before on badgers! :shock:

I'm surprised the SPCA haven't been called! :shock::lol:

What I have been thinking of doing when I get my run is buy loads of big bits of tarp (cheap off Ebay) and cover the run in tarp pretty much :lol:

I have discovered bald bunny feet here too!!! :shock: Gladly no infection here either. So who is going to design the wellies then sounds like they could be popular!! :D

I hope my thread has made a few people go and have a quick look at their outdoor buns feet. :wave:

Don't blame yourself like I di, it's this bloomin rain!! :roll:

Good point, The Name's JT.
My house buns won't go out on wet grass. They do give me a dirty look when it's raining as if to say "well turn it off then".:lol:

Back