• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dumb maths question regarding calculating hutch sizes.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
For example if a hutch is 6 x 2 foot is that equal to 12 square foot. Now if its 6 x 2 x 2, what is the other 2 - the height ? But that would not offer anymore than then 12 square foot to the hutch.

So if I moved a dresser 35 inches by 20 inches, surely that is not 700 inches extra space.

:) yeah the other 2 is the height - it doesn't affect the floor space, nope :)

Yes - 35 x 20 inches will be 700 square inches! If you imagine 35 apples in a row, that's 35 apples. Make it two rows - that's already 70 apples, 3 rows is 105 apples....20 rows = 700 apples!

Not sure if that helps, or even if I've understood the question properly! :lol:

:) yeah the other 2 is the height - it doesn't affect the floor space, nope :)

Yes - 35 x 20 inches will be 700 square inches! If you imagine 35 apples in a row, that's 35 apples. Make it two rows - that's already 70 apples, 3 rows is 105 apples....20 rows = 700 apples!

Not sure if that helps, or even if I've understood the question properly! :lol:

Its funny but you would think 700 inches would be huge. 700 apples would fill the room. :lol:

The 12 ft squared is the area of the base. The area of a recktangle is length x width. So the base's area would be 6x2 = 12 ft squared.

Length x width x height would equal volume, the space/mass inside the hutch.
6 x 2 x 2 = 24 ft cubed.

The area is the space inside the shape, the size it's taking up. So the hutch would be taking up 12ft of your room, 6 ft in length and 2 ft in width.

The volume is the mass inside the shape, so your hutch will be taking up 24 ft cubed of your room's mass.

Your dresser's area is 35 x 20 = 700 inches squared. That's how much space it'll take up on the floor.

If you remove the dresser from the room, you'll have 700 inches squared more space.

Your dresser's size could be
1 inch x 700 inches
2 inches x 350 inches
50 inches x 14 inches

The area that any of the dressers would be taking would always be 700 inches squared

:wave: hope that makes sense, I think most of what I said hasn't answered your questions :oops:

The 12 ft squared is the area of the base. The area of a recktangle is length x width. So the base's area would be 6x2 = 12 ft squared.

Length x width x height would equal volume, the space/mass inside the hutch.
6 x 2 x 2 = 24 ft cubed.

The area is the space inside the shape, the size it's taking up. So the hutch would be taking up 12ft of your room, 6 ft in length and 2 ft in width.

The volume is the mass inside the shape, so your hutch will be taking up 24 ft cubed of your room's mass.

Your dresser's area is 35 x 20 = 700 inches squared. That's how much space it'll take up on the floor.

If you remove the dresser from the room, you'll have 700 inches squared more space.

Your dresser's size could be
1 inch x 700 inches
2 inches x 350 inches
50 inches x 14 inches

The area that any of the dressers would be taking would always be 700 inches squared

:wave: hope that makes sense, I think most of what I said hasn't answered your questions :oops:

So I wasn't wrong only confused.

12 square foot sounds large but in reality is small.

No wonder estate agents advertise some properties in square feet, makes them sound enormous.

Back