• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions

vergo97

Warren Scout
I have several things I need to do for Freddy, but I'm not sure what to aim for first. I need to:
. Get him neutered
. Get a bigger run
. Have vaccinations done
I'd love to get him a companion one day, but that'd have to be after I get all of the above things.

Could you help chose in which order I should do them in?

Also, now Freddy is moving to my dads, I can start to do things properly and I was wandering:
. Where can I get good quality hay from? He has P@H hay at the moment but I don't think that's the best, and I really don't like to support them anyway.
. What pellets do you feed your rabbits and where do you get them from? He is also on P@H pellets at the moment.
. How much pellets and fresh food should he be getting? At the moment he gets a bowl full of pellets and half a carrot or leftover greens but I think that is too much, especially with the pellets?
. Are there any websites you recommend for getting toys/treats?
. How much time should rabbits have spent with them? I'm at my dad's house every other weekend and Tuesdays & Thursdays, and I have my rats to look after as well, so I won't be able to spend hours and hours with him every day.

First off, yay :D

After all the shed and everything I think in an order, neutering, vaccinations, run and then looking for a friend :wave: a shed would be okay if he had some time outside/inside to run around :) maybe using that run you already have if you can get it to your dads for a temporary thing:)

Hay, my lot love a mix of hays. They have Asda hay, Wilkos hay and hay for pets hay :D and some readigrass :)

Veg and food wise, I *think* p@hnoellets are okay, which ones do you mean? Abowl ful is a lot, i would aim to reduce it to a handful :) Veg, stick to green stuff :wave: carrot is full of sugar and can give them runny poops. Green veg or herbs are best :) there is a list on here somewhere :wave:

Toys and treats.. I think Wilkos have the cheapest willow toys. But otherwise eBay and amazon :D

As much time as you can :wave: I spend about half an hour a day with my outdoor pair, sometimes longer and I feel bad but they have each other. So as much as you can :) I gave Leo a big teddy bear which he instantly groomed! We are setting up something outside for him so we can get him which is what he needs :) but for now human company and a snuggley bear will do :D

I have several things I need to do for Freddy, but I'm not sure what to aim for first. I need to:
. Get him neutered - Would do this second personally
. Get a bigger run Would do this third personally
. Have vaccinations done Would do this first personally, your choice of course!
I'd love to get him a companion one day, but that'd have to be after I get all of the above things.

Could you help chose in which order I should do them in?

Also, now Freddy is moving to my dads, I can start to do things properly and I was wandering:
. Where can I get good quality hay from? He has P@H hay at the moment but I don't think that's the best, and I really don't like to support them anyway. look around in local horsey shops/online for people who sell good quality hay, or you can order online off Hay For Pets.
. What pellets do you feed your rabbits and where do you get them from? He is also on P@H pellets at the moment.
I feed mine Excel Junior and Dwarf, and I buy from my local petshop or P@H
. How much pellets and fresh food should he be getting? At the moment he gets a bowl full of pellets and half a carrot or leftover greens but I think that is too much, especially with the pellets?
Mine have a shallow dish and it covers the bottom, a bowl full each day is really a bit too much, ideally you could do with cutting that down. It varies from bun2bun but I would say 2/3 tablespoons full of pellets, for the whole day considering he's used to a whole bowl full
. Are there any websites you recommend for getting toys/treats?
As much as it pains me to say it, P@H are good:| the hay experts are really good as well!
. How much time should rabbits have spent with them? I'm at my dad's house every other weekend and Tuesdays & Thursdays, and I have my rats to look after as well, so I won't be able to spend hours and hours with him every day.
As much time as possible! Ideally he could do with a friend but as you said above you've got other things to sort out before you can think about a wife for Freddie, but as much time as you possibly can!:D

Answers are in bold :D

hello there

great advice you have already. Just to add to the hay thing, I mix it up too. My last purchase was the standard pets at home hay, a bag of timothy and a bag of the hay with dried carrot and apple. I then have a large container (use a spare recycling box or a storage box) and mix it all up by hand and then give them the mixed hay daily.

I used to give them plain pets at home and they didnt seem to eat much, now they munch away. Hay is cheaper at a farm and a kind lady local to me told me where there is a farm near me, so if you can reach out to local people and have transport, it's well worth it.

:wave:

Thanks for the advice :wave:

I'll get a selection of hay, he doesn't eat that much hay at the moment so that might get him to be more interested. I'll reduce the amount of pellets, the pellets my mum got just say "Adult Rabbit Pellets" on them. How much greens should I give him a day? And would scatter feeding the pellets be a good idea, to keep him occupied for a bit?

I'll go to wilkos to get some toys and I'll try to get him a teddy bear as well. It'll be so much easier when he is in the shed, I'll be able to get him loads of stuff! :D

Thanks for the advice :wave:

I'll get a selection of hay, he doesn't eat that much hay at the moment so that might get him to be more interested. I'll reduce the amount of pellets, the pellets my mum got just say "Adult Rabbit Pellets" on them. How much greens should I give him a day? And would scatter feeding the pellets be a good idea, to keep him occupied for a bit?

I'll go to wilkos to get some toys and I'll try to get him a teddy bear as well. It'll be so much easier when he is in the shed, I'll be able to get him loads of stuff! :D

Well if they're pellets I wouldn't worry about it :wave: Greens, maybe just some grass or a bit of greenery, not too much because they don't need it but it's a nice treat :)

Scatter feeding would be good yeah :D maybe if you gave him so many pellets in his bowl and the est scatter :p

Avoid the 'colouring' toys, like the wooden ones with the dye because I think someone on here has a problem with glue being on it :shock: so just the willow/natural toys :thumb: they have quite a few, I'm going to get some next week for mine :) also the rabbit tunnels made of hyacinth they sell we good for chewing but a bit small for rabbits, more guinea pig size. I buy the hamster ones for the rabbits to chew on :D

I started buying what I thought was nice good quality farm hay and it turned out my Bun just liked the cheaper packaged stuff from the local pet shop.
Its good that you are aiming for neutering, vaccinations and space because lots of bunny owners dont think about those things (I still havent had Bun done which is a different issue but still...)
I would say get your bunny vaccinated, then neutered then concentrate on the accomadation..
also I use Burgess pellets for my Bun but Im sure the PAH pellets are fine (I just wouldnt want to be funding PAH but that my personal opinion) and as far as toys are concerned my Bun loves cardboard boxes and newspaper he generally ignores Bun toys.
I also buy him parsely when I go shopping but he munches alot of grass anyway...

I'll try to get pellets from somewhere else, but at least it's not essential to change it straight away. I've got loads of cardboard boxes so he can have some of them as well. :D

Back