• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Major weight loss - thoughts please

gemmam

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I haven't posted on the forum for ages but would really like some opinions if anyone has any thoughts. My mini lop has lost a lot of weight - I only noticed this at the week-end and therefore feel it has been fairly sudden/rapid. Took him to vets Monday and they looked straight in his mouth and found some spurs on his molars. These have not damaged his mouth or tongue. Vet therefore advised a dental asap, then to monitor his weight and if it doesn't pick up then the teeth weren't to blame and to investigate further. I have booked the dental for tomorrow but am worrying whether this is the right way to go or whether it would be better to look at other possibilities first? He is eating and drinking, still munching hay. He is less active than usual, presumably because he is weak from being thin (?), and spending a fair bit of time sitting with his eyes closed which is unusual for him. Would weight loss be normal from apparently mild spurs which haven't stopped him from eating? I suppose he could be eating more slowly due to the teeth, meaning he takes in less than he needs? He hasn't got any symptoms like runny eyes or anything. I am worried about the GA when he is underweight too? He is two and a half, is it normal for dental problems to show up at this age? I am also worried about the "wait and see if weight picks up after dental" as he is so small I worry there won't be much time to wait and see if he doesn't pick up ....

Thoughts welcome please, I have to go out soon but will check back later xx

Haven't you noticed him eating less recently? If he has been eating his normal ration then I would be inclined to think it is something else. How much dried food does he get every day, and does he eat a good amount of hay as well? I suppose the vet wants to eliminate the most obvious reason for a rabbit to lose weight first .

You could ask for blood tests to check things like liver/kidney function and maybe an E. cuniculi titre too. He is fairly young to have such problems but it's not impossible.

The size of molar spurs is no indication as to how badly they will affect him- some rabbits stop eating as soon as they get atiny spur whilst others carry on with horrendous-looking teeth sometimes.

The fact he is sitting with his eyes closed is a worry though- it suggests he is feeling very poorly or in some pain. It may be best to give supportive treatment e.g syringe food, fluids, probiotics and drugs such as pain relief to get him as strong as possibly before the dental but your vet is the best person to advise on this xx

Is it worth doing xrays to rule out tooth root abscesses? Pea had slight spurs on her teeth but it wasn't until a huge lump appeared at the bottom of her jaw that we realised it was an abscess. Up until that point, she'd been pretty much normal but had lost a little weight. But it was only after she'd been treated and fully recovered that I noticed how much livelier she was. Just a thought.

Sending healing (((vibes))) for a speedy recovery.

It sounds as if time is of the essence.

In my opinion I would risk the GA at this point so the problem with the teeth can be dealt with. Unless a large amount of hay is eaten in a very short space of time to help with the spurs. Hopefully after having his teeth dealt with he could start picking up and putting weight on.
Leaving a GA later may be more dangerous if he has continued to go downhill.

Either way it is your decision and always best to talk this over with your vet aswell.

Best of luck.

Just noticed what Mackers has said....x-rays....good idea.

Thank you all. I think it does seem as though getting the dental done asap is a good idea. I was just surprised not to look into other possibilities given that he appears to be eating well - I would have thought he'd have to be barely eating at all to drop so much weight, am thinking he may be eating a lot more slowly and his wifey-bun hoovering up the majority of the food which might explain it. I will also ask about x-rays I think.

Hi there. Didn't realise bunny lived with another so I would imagine this is the case. It's more difficult to monitor their intake when not alone. Let us know what transpires.

Back