• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving Rabbit from Oxford to Belfast...

Ariensis

New Kit
Good afternoon all.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding moving my Rabbit. We are relocating to Belfast at the start of August, but I want to make the trip as stressless as possible for bunny.

I considered taking the overnight boat from Liverpool to Belfast as my rabbit is used to going to bed at night, but I was worried about the noise levels on the car deck and swaying of the boat... (this trip would be 3 hours driving and 8 hours in the car on the boat)

My other option is to drive to Cairnryan in Scotland (7 Hours drive and 2 Hours 15min in the car on the boat)

At present my bunny does not have a cage at all, as he roams the whole house when we are at home and has his own bedroom in the house at night time. I will need to buy something to transport him in, but am clueless as to what would be best here. Advice is welcome please!

If anyone on these forums is from Belfast and could reccomend a good vet for when we get there then I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance.

I personally would go for the shortest ferry crossing as I am pretty sure that you need to leave your car when you get on the trip, so would have to leave bun in the car. I might not be right but check this out.

When I took Kermit on Holiday with me I put his cage in the back of the car, was a Nero 4 so he had loads of space to get about and do his usual business. I know that some people would keep bun in a carrier for that length of time, but for me personally I think that the larger cage with a bit of space is better.

Yes I would need to leave the car (with bunny in it) on the car deck for the duration of the trip, so I guess as you say it would be best to go for the trip with the shortest time on the ferry. The reason I considered the longer ferry trip was because my rabbit is on his own overnight at home anyway.

Like I said I dont have a cage at the moment, so I will need to buy one to put my rabbit in for the trip. Should I get the largest cage that will fit in the car then?

One of Scarlet's (our rabbit) facebook friends (another bun) flew when his Mum moved across Spain. He went in a small carrier as her hand luggage.

I did an overnight move from England to Scotland and put my bunnies in a small indoor cage. We stayed overnight in a B&B and they let us keep the cage in their shed overnight (it was summer and very warm).

How about driving to Holyhead (4.5 hrs), ferry to Dublin (around 2 hours), drive to belfast (2.5 hours ish). I would have thought it would be a slightly quicker journey and it breaks up the driving, but it really depends exactly where your start and end points are.

Back