• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food bullying - what do you do ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Have one slight problem with Bandit and Cutie-pie. Food bullying.

Bandit loves his food. It started with crunchies, he chases her off when I offer them a crunchie, so I have to give him 2 straight away.

Now its with the pellets too. So soon as I go in with a mug, they know and he chases her off. She goes off into the furtherest corner, if she comes back he chases her again. :roll: I put food down where she hides.

What else can I do ?

Other than food, they are a happy couple.

This is why i scatter feed only. I scatter EVERYTHING around the room at feeding time. Gives them both (B&G) the chance to get their fill. It also helps keep them fit and encourages foraging which is natural behaviour. Ginger is so scatty at food time, we have to :lol:

This is why i scatter feed only. I scatter EVERYTHING around the room at feeding time. Gives them both (B&G) the chance to get their fill. It also helps keep them fit and encourages foraging which is natural behaviour. Ginger is so scatty at food time, we have to :lol:

Will try this. :wave: See how it works at dinner time.

I have a pair that do this. When I open the door they satrt so I feed them first & I feed one in the hutch & one in the run. They now know this & go to their spots at feed time

Boris sometimes bullies Bella at feeding time, he stops once he gets his food though so I think he's just eager to get his share first :roll: Once I actually put the food down they calm down. It's just that excitement before that sometimes gets a little out of control. I hope you find a solution :wave:

Once I open the buns cupboard door where all their stuff is kept wilma begins chasing Mr.

At food time I have to quickly get food out and down into the bowl to stop the chasing.

It's very annoying when the greedy girl thinks I'm getting food when I'm actually about to clean the litter boxes.......doh!!!!

My 2 share most thing but there are cretain foods and treats that they will chase each other for and try and stop the other getting. i have to make sure i split it between them both and feed them it at the same time but different places :)

Herbie does this with Inca at pellet times. They hear me opening the clip jar and they start running, then Herbie chases Inca. I sit there until they have calmed down and then give the pellets.

Bluebell is a food stealer. Bramble knows this and just runs off as soon as she gets it in her little mouth! :lol:

She runs as far away as possible and hides. She is faster than Bluebell though.

I've never had a problem with chasing but a friend of mine did, she tried the scatter procedure and it worked :thumb:

Thanks everyone. It is very reassuring that this is normal behaviour. I will definately do the scattering method. I will also try and wait for Bandit to calm down as well.

I have scatter fed on the carpet tonight. Can you believe it Bandit wasn't interested and went off to nom on some willow sticks. :roll:

mine don;t fight over the food but aare both greedy over it, sometimes i feed them separate like mornings with pellets, have a spare crate on landing called the den, and feed one bun pellets in there while mabel pellets in my room, overwise mabel would eat the lot :lol:

mind you sox just had far more then his share of his supper tonight :lol:

Back