• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Medicating bunnies.....

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
Marnie is on a bit of a cocktail at the moment....but for some reason she now won't take them from a syringe, even though she would before.

She will however, eat it off a saucer when mushed up with a little grape (only fruit I have in...going shopping today)

Is it ok to mix up her meds in the same fruit? So the baytril, metaclop and metacam all on one bit? Or should I do it seperately? I just worry about too much fruit :oops:

how much grape are you giving her? :wave: would she eat it mixed up with mashed pellets?

she had 1/2 with her metaclop and 1/2 with her baytril. I know they shouldn't have them really but my cupboards are bare till we go shopping this morning :oops:

She won't touch mushy pellets.....I'll be getting some banana and other bits in the shopping....so she won't be having them again on grape....I just got fed up of casing her around with the syringes :roll:

Thanks for starting this thread, Im looking for answers to this at the moment aswell.
Charlotte is an absolute nightmare to medicate, and gets very upset. Im thinking of hiding her meds in something, her favourite thing is banana but I dont really want her to have fruit at the moment :?

The thing with Marnie is, if theres no other way she will take the meds it sounds like you dont have much choice but to try it. I had the same problem with Mimi when she had head tilt, the only way she would take the meds was mashed in banana and it was fine for her. BUT her issues werent tummy issues :?

Loads of luck and vibes :wave:

Thanks for starting this thread, Im looking for answers to this at the moment aswell.
Charlotte is an absolute nightmare to medicate, and gets very upset. Im thinking of hiding her meds in something, her favourite thing is banana but I dont really want her to have fruit at the moment :?

The thing with Marnie is, if theres no other way she will take the meds it sounds like you dont have much choice but to try it. I had the same problem with Mimi when she had head tilt, the only way she would take the meds was mashed in banana and it was fine for her. BUT her issues werent tummy issues :?

Loads of luck and vibes :wave:

We arent having tummy issues...she had surgery to sort out some nasty wounds she got during a failed bonding. The vet always prescribes metaclop after surgery for 2-3 days.

How big is Charlotte? If she is only a little bun then she probably won't need very much in the way of meds...and a little bit of Nana shouldn't hurt her too much I don't think.

I just worry about mixing all the meds together if you know what I mean. She always used to take them out of the syringe....maybe she got frightened at the vets at meds time :?

When Marnie has tummy troubles I give her little bits of nana cause they're her favourite too :oops:

I usually mix baytril with a tiny amount of blackcurrant ribena and my buns take it much better (was the vet's suggestion). I know it's not good for them but the amount is minute and none of mine have been on baytril for that long and none of them like banana:(. With multi buns I daren't put it on their food either or one of the other buns will nom it by mistake.

When I'm prescribed metaclop I always ask for the injectable version as I find it easier to dispense that way and I know it's all gone in whereas sometimes with oral meds I am syringing I worry some has dribbled out.

Having tried to hold Marnie and bathe her sores I recognise it is much easier with my buns as they are that much smaller. Marnie is incredibly friendly and good natured but if she doesn't want something - she is a big bunny to hold.

My boy buns always have meds on banana or a bit of wholemeal bread :wave: the girls are more intelligent and won't touch anything with medicine on! They're a nightmare :roll:

I usually mix baytril with a tiny amount of blackcurrant ribena and my buns take it much better (was the vet's suggestion). I know it's not good for them but the amount is minute and none of mine have been on baytril for that long and none of them like banana:(. With multi buns I daren't put it on their food either or one of the other buns will nom it by mistake.

When I'm prescribed metaclop I always ask for the injectable version as I find it easier to dispense that way and I know it's all gone in whereas sometimes with oral meds I am syringing I worry some has dribbled out.

Having tried to hold Marnie and bathe her sores I recognise it is much easier with my buns as they are that much smaller. Marnie is incredibly friendly and good natured but if she doesn't want something - she is a big bunny to hold.

I tried ribena and she wouldnt touch it. I can't hold on to her properly at the moment cause of the stiches on her side and the scabs on her back.

To be honest...I think the problem is that she was frightened at the vets when they gave her meds or they hurt her side whenthey held her to do it. I'm sure neither of these things would have been intentional...but Marnie likes things to be done a certain way and gets upset if they aren't.

Are we generally in agreement that mixing the meds on one bit of mashed banana isnt a problem then?

Could you not put it on something leafy like a dandelion leaf? I do this with Boris' meds, he won't take anything from a syringe either :roll: Either that or banana. I'd think almost anything is fine though as long as they get their meds :)

Back