• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bramble hind leg problem UD help needed please

BrambleBerry

Warren Scout
I have just come home from work and noticed Bramble was sat quietly in a corner of her dog crate. Not like her at all. So i gave her a nose rub, she got up to move and was hopping on one of her back legs :( she will not put weight on the other one. Nor will she stand up on her hind legs. She is eating and pooing but i know buns hide pain well. Her leg just looks wrong if you know what i mean. I am going to phone the vets first thing but i fear the worst. Would you take her husbun with her if i was you? I dont know if she will have to stay there :( with the way my luck is going at the minute i am prepared for the worst. She is insured, would you ask for an xray? Sorry for all the questions, i am so worried. I feel it is my fault she has hurt herself.

(sorry for spelling mistakes too my laptop has died on me so i am on my phone).

Last edited:
take her to the vets and ask for an x -ray if its not any better tomorrow - go first thing xx

hope she gets better soon :love: xx

Yes take her partner with her if you can. Let the vet know she is insured and if they think an x-ray is needed they will get one done.

Thank you both for your quick replies. I will phone up first thing and inform them that i have insurance. I will keep you updated :)

This morning Bramble is putting weight on the problem leg. She also stood up on both hind legs to have a nosey around. I have booked her in at 6.10, i just hope the vet can tell me why she wasn't putting weight on it yesterday :?

Back from the vets. The vet had a good feel of both of brambles back legs and said she couldnt feel anything. Bramble ran around the room fine too. I still feel like bramble is not herself though :?

The vet did point out a patch of red skin on brambles left hind foot :(. The vet made me feel like i wasn't looking after her as well as i should. I know i look after her. She has a clean cage and run. She has just gone through a moult but now after what the vet said i am doubting my ability to care for my buns. I have just given her nails a trim but is there anything else i can do? I don't know if the sore hock is due to her hind leg issue or if it is due to me being incapable of looking after her :( could anyone advise me please?

Sorry if im just being stupid and the answer is obvious x

Is it right on the heel of the foot? A lot of rabbits have red patches there, it doesn't mean you're a bad owner. It's always good to keep an eye on them though.

Yes it is right on the end of her heel. I forgot to say she is a rex. Alfie (butterfly lop) who lives with her is fine. She only has the red patch on her left hind foot. The vet made me feel awful.

Is your vet rabbit savvy? I always wonder if a vet is trying to make you feel bad it's to cover up the fact that don't have an answer and are out of their depth

Unfortunately my vet was on holiday so the vet i saw today was a stand in. I trust my normal vet and he has never brought up the patch before. So you could be right, i felt so small when she questioned me about how i kept my rabbits :oops: It was a good job i took my OH with me otherwise i would have been in tears in the car!

I dont know if you know this or not but it might be a good idea to put Bramble on deep bedding to help with her problem. Hope she will be ok now.

Back