• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

EC bun sneezing after VHD/Myxy jab - advice needed please

lja401

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Our lovely bunny Noel has EC. He had a bad episode back in December and so I am always looking out for signs of the horrible EC disease. On Friday we took him and Milly for their myxi/VHD jabs. I have noticed that since having them that he has been sneezing a lot. He also had a big vein come up in his ear. Could the sneezing be a sign of the EC? I have Panacur at home. We last panacured him back in June (about 6 weeks ago) so he isn't due to have another lot until September. Could we give him any more so soon after the last lot? Could the sneezing be a sign of the jabs?

I am happy to take him to the vet but don't like to stress him out.

Many thanks,

lja401 :)

did he have the comvi vaccination or single ones, maybe worth speaking to your vet about your concerns over his sneezing, it could be unrelated or then again could be related and set it off

The sneezing is unlikely to be a symptom of EC but of a Respiratory Tract infection, possibly triggered by the vaccine's assault on his immune system. I would get him back to the Vet ASAP who may want to prescribe him a course of antibiotics.

One of our buns came down with an upper respiratory tract infection soon after his combined vaccine. It was a real worry as we have another bun who has chronic pasteurella requiring frequent treatment. However, Jack recovered completely after a course of antibiotics and is not showing any ongoing symptoms. Three weeks of Baytril did nothing, so I insisted he had Alamycin which our other bun has when she needs abx (injection every 3 days, done at home) and he was clear after 2 jabs although we kept on with the abx for another three jabs.

So - it could well be URI in a bun with a depressed immune system, but it can be beaten:thumb:

Thank you for your replies. He had the combination vaccine which he's never had before. I will give my vet a call to ask today to see what he says. Noel seems ok but want to ask about the sneezing.x

Thank you for your replies. He had the combination vaccine which he's never had before. I will give my vet a call to ask today to see what he says. Noel seems ok but want to ask about the sneezing.x

I would ask the Vet to examine him, it is very important to insure that his lungs are not also effected and the Vet cant do that over the phone :)

Thank you Jane. I called the vet but he's not there till 5.30 so they took all the details down and are calling me back at 5.30.

Back