• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best way to bath my bunny's bum please?

LainiT

Warren Scout
My little lionhead has a very crusty bum...clearly decided to sit in his poo rather than eat it once again but this time he's forgotten to clean it off and has left him needing a bit of help I think.

I brought them inside a couple of weeks ago to free range in the kitchen while I sort out some kind of mosquito net for the hutch and run knowing he has a habit of leaving a few HUUUGE calling cards willy nilly round the run :roll:

I'm not worried about flies getting to him cos he's inside but I really need to clean him up. Whats the best way to do it anyone? He's ok with being held for a little while but then gets stressed. So do I sit him in a washing up bowl..if so do I add anything to the water....and all 4 paws in or just dunk his bum?? Or take longer while I sponge him down best I can?

Oh bless him, I not looking forward to it...nor will he be I bet... poor fella:(

When I used to have a bun that needed bum baths, I used to run the water (warm to dip my elbow in - like for babies I suppose), I used to put the tiniest bit of mild baby shampoo in, and just gently lift her in so that her front paws were out of the water supported by me, and her back paws and bottom were in the water. I usually just let her sit in the water for a minute or two, to make it easier to remove the poo, then just gently sponge it off.

I would advise getting everything ready in advance - when you've got a wet struggling bunny, you can't go searching for towels :lol::lol: I usually got 2 towels out, one to place her in when she came out, to get the worst of the water out, then a dry one to put her in, as the first one got wet quite quickly.

The first few times she hated it and struggled and splashed so much. But as she needed bum baths quite a lot, she used got used to it and just let me wash her.

Good luck! :wave:

:lol: :lol: That made me laugh... 'Bum Baths!' :shock: :lol: :lol:

They should make little rabbit bidets! Thanks for the reply, v helpful will give it a go, bless him, cheers for the good luck wishes too...have a feeling I may need them!

Back