• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digby just isn't right, I don't know what to do :o(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
To an outsider he would seem completely fine. He's eating ok, pooping ok, not sneezing anymore, his eyes aren't really runny. But he is startled when I approach the kennel, even though I wave and talk as I get closer. He used to spend as much time as I'd allow him playing out in the garden, he used to be out from 5.30-10pm almost constantly. Now he barely comes out all evening, even with the doors left open :( he does come out in the mornings, and still chases Daisy round and binkies sometimes. But something just isn't right.
He's on antibiotics for a possible nasal infection and metacam. He has had his tear ducts flushed. If he doesn't seem better after this course of antibiotics, we are going to wait a few weeks then do a culture and sensitivity test. But I'm convinced there's something else going on. If (especially after tea) I pull his lower eyelid down, it stays where I've pulled it to, for about a minute :shock: it's very strange. He has unusually large eye sockets. But the eyelid thing only seems to happen after tea.
Any musings or thoughts very welcome!! :?

Gosh, I have no idea at all. Could it be his sight ?

Mega vibes for Digby, hope you find out what it is.

There is no sign of cataracts or damage to his eyes, although the pressure is considerably lower in one eye than the other. I'm just baffled really! His sight does seem to have deteriorated considerably, but the vet can't see why... And I think he's a bit deaf too :(
Thanks for the vibes x

I'm a firm believer in the intuition of an observant owner. We rely on the professionals to help put things right but they rely on us to spot the small signs that something's wrong in th first place. Is there any way you can get a second opinion from another vet? I don't know if you have a bunny savvy vet so this may not be necessary, but don't be afraid to make a fuss if you're sure there's something 'not quite right'. You're the only one who can speak out for Digby so make a nuisance of yourself! After all, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil ;). Hope he's OK.

Could be a loss of some hearing rather than sight and could explain being startled.

Agree too with Mackers, try for another opinion.

Has the vet checked his ears ? The change in behaviour/ being easily startled etc and the apparent slight facial palsy *might* be due to an ear infection.

Is he a Lop ?

Has the vet checked his ears ? The change in behaviour/ being easily startled etc and the apparent slight facial palsy *might* be due to an ear infection.

Is he a Lop ?

Now you come to mention it, I don't think he has! :shock: I went about his eyes so it was all concentrated on that really... I will definitely mention that. He has one lop ear and one uppy ear :wave:

Now you come to mention it, I don't think he has! :shock: I went about his eyes so it was all concentrated on that really... I will definitely mention that. He has one lop ear and one uppy ear :wave:

Is it both eyes that are a problem or just one ?

Thanks Jane. So what would you do? If it looks like a possible ear infection, would you treat for that and see how he gets on? Or would you go for X-rays straight away? I just want him right again. He's actually been quite a bit better today, maybe his metacam is helping :)

Back