• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unspayed females

Azucena

Alpha Buck
Hi

I've recently adopted a rabbit from a friend as she was "too moody". She nips sometimes (through clothes not fingers mostly) and digs at clothing (was wondering about the meaning of this?), but generally is fine. She has not been spayed (although I plan on it) and is about 1 1/2 years of age.

My question is, is this to be expected of an unspayed doe and/or will spaying help this behaviour?

Thanks. :)

ETA: She is otherwise very friendly; lets me stroke her, jumps on my knee (or tries to!), etc.

Last edited:
Not all unspayed does nip or dig at your clothing. Some are very sweet and good as gold. Spaying will definitely help her to behave less hormonally.

Thanks. :D

This is no doubt an insane suggestion, but it seems to happen when I've spend less time with her that day.. Could they be related or am I over thinking this? :lol:

I don't know, my Boris takes out his frustration on my clothes if he's a bit moody :lol: He was neutered nearly 5 years ago and he's been doing this all along, so in his case it's not a hormonal thing at all. But yeah, it could be that she's annoyed at you for not spending as much time with her! Also, does she have plenty of toys and things to keep her occupied? A bored bunny is a destructive bunny...;)

So I'm not crazy! :lol:

She does, and my purse could argue too many. :lol:

(Oh and Boris and Bella look adorable :love:)

spaying may calm her down a bit - but mine still nips when she feels like it :D

its good that your getting her spayed cause it will prolong her happy little life :love:

Bunnies can get a bit grumpy sometimes if their routine is changed eg they don't get let out/cuddled/fed when they think they should, or if they get bored (not enough to do), or sometimes it's just part of their personality. Having raging hormones definitely contributes to grumpyness so generally you see at least some improvement even if it doesn't completely stop it :)

Back