• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Convincing Mum to build her own hutch - UD getting a shed!

sierra*323

Mama Doe
My Mum and I have different views on the best bunny housing, but she loves her Alice to pieces and is planning to get her a new hutch before the winter.

She has meticulously rabbit proofed her entire garden so that Alice can have it all to herself, so she doesn't have a run (I worry about predators but that's a different story!). Mum works nights, she lets Alice out at about 5 in the morning and Dad puts her in her hutch at night. However, the hutch is only a cheap 4ft x 2ft one and is suffering in all this rain - Mum wants a bigger, more sturdy one.

She has an amazing talent for designing and building things - how do I convince her to build an amazing 6x2x2 home for Alice?

:D

Last edited:
Most people love compliments. Look at hutches with your mum and comment at each one that you are sure that she could design and build a much nicer home for a fraction of the cost. Most people also love to save money.

We built our first hutch - so it's bigger than most you can easily buy for probably less cost!
It's about 6.5 ft long, by 2.5 ft front to back and nearly 3ft high - so much room for bouncing :) and it's not needed really any maintenance since we built it in 2007, compared to a P@H hutch we have for fosters where the roof started to leak after 2-3 years.

Maybe you could persuade her to build a hutch with run attached, so Alice can still bounce around at night if she wants to?

Update

Showed Mum the housing sticky and some cheap/free sheds on ebay/freecycle... she now plans to get a second hand shed and modify it into a single tier 6ft hutch with a shelter on top, as that's where Alice likes to sit.

So pleased! Mum gets a project and Alice gets a fab new house :D

Back