• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just enquired about a baby rabbit on preloved but the owner doesnt know how to sex th

silver jedi

Young Bun
hi, ive just enquired about a baby rabbit in the dewsbury area but the owner does not know how to sex them, im no expert and sexing my male when i did it was so easy but i dont think i could really do it as ive heard its difficult and easy to make mistakes , im looking for a female and they have plenty of babies and have invited me round but what should i do? x

hi, ive just enquired about a baby rabbit in the dewsbury area but the owner does not know how to sex them, im no expert and sexing my male when i did it was so easy but i dont think i could really do it as ive heard its difficult and easy to make mistakes , im looking for a female and they have plenty of babies and have invited me round but what should i do? x

Contact a local Rescue and adopt a Bunny of known gender and probably neutered and vaccinated too :thumb:

Sue's Rabbit Rescue is in Dewsbury.

You've also got BARC in Barnsley, & several in Leeds not far from you.:D

im thinking and trying to do that but as my rabbits are a mixture of outdoor and indoor bunnies i dont seem to fit the requirements of space and we dont have a car to sort out bonding and such. i personally believe that any rabbit bought from anywhere by the right people is a rescue rabbit and that if these people are so clueless as to breed and sell ten week old rabbits without being able to sex them then someone , somewhere can help , one way or another.

im thinking and trying to do that but as my rabbits are a mixture of outdoor and indoor bunnies i dont seem to fit the requirements of space and we dont have a car to sort out bonding and such. i personally believe that any rabbit bought from anywhere by the right people is a rescue rabbit and that if these people are so clueless as to breed and sell ten week old rabbits without being able to sex them then someone , somewhere can help , one way or another.

Unfortunately they wont be educated by simply buying from them. It will just encourage them to keep breeding and selling :cry:

i suppose what im getting at is there anyone in the area that can go and sex these rabbits and give the owners advice? im new to this forum but im getting the idea that rabbits bred by byb are not as important in the saving schedule as others?

i suppose what im getting at is there anyone in the area that can go and sex these rabbits and give the owners advice? im new to this forum but im getting the idea that rabbits bred by byb are not as important in the saving schedule as others?

It is not that they are 'not as important'

But what message does it give to the seller if people buy from them ? It just tells them that there is a market for Baby Rabbits and encourages them to breed even more. Even though they clearly have no idea what they are doing.

You could politely suggest that they get their Vet to Sex the babies for them. But they probably never set foot in a Vets.

It is of course entirely up to you where and from whom you obtain another Rabbit :)

As far as BYB's go the reason people are against them is because they breed rabbits for a bit if quick cash in often quite squallid conditions and without knowing if the breeding pair are carrying any genetic defects. They are often not knowledgeable so they don't offer the new bunny parent any useful information such as the importance of a good diet, neutering, vaccinating, the list goes on. By buying a rabbit from them you are funding irresponsible breeding and depriving a rabbit in rescue of a home. In a way you could see getting an individual rabbit from one of these places as rescuing as you are providing them with a better life but by doing this it will just fund the breeder to make more. If no one buys from these people eventually they will shut down as they are not making money thus saving more rabbits from mis-treatment in the long run.

if you would prefer rescue but are struggling mick and sue from sues rabbit rescue are fantastic if you take one of their rabbits.

they will help with bonding and travel if you need it and will give any help/advice they can. :D

Back