• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Separate prior to neutering?

fmassf

New Kit
Hi all :)

I am new to the forum, so hope some other bunny lovers will be able to help me out!

I have 2 gorgeous baby bunnies (one buck & one doe) - approx 12 weeks old. They get on so well and love spending all their time together, but I am starting to worry it is getting to the point where I might need to separate them prior to them being neutered/spayed.

My vet says they usually neuter around 6 months, but I really don't want baby bunnies and I don't know what to do for the best. 6 months seems like a long wait.

They are still in the same home at the moment, and I haven't seen any naughty business so far. I just want to catch it at the right time. If I separate them but keep their homes next to each other, will it damage their bond? Should I see if the vet thinks my buck is ready to be done yet?

I just want to do the best thing for them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Fran xxx

Welcome to RU.
To be the bearer of bad news I would separate now. I am not sure how early they can reproduce, though I would have thought 3months was probably not an unlikely starting point. Just because you won't have seen it doesn't mean it can't happen. it doesn't take them long! General rule for neuterings is males can be done once the plums appear, and females from 6months if your vet is happy they are developed enough. There is no way they can stay together until neutered as you can't neuter until they are sexually matured. hopefully someone with more knowledge about fertility ages will be along soon enough.:wave:

Welcome to RU.
To be the bearer of bad news I would separate now. I am not sure how early they can reproduce, though I would have thought 3months was probably not an unlikely starting point. Just because you won't have seen it doesn't mean it can't happen. it doesn't take them long! General rule for neuterings is males can be done once the plums appear, and females from 6months if your vet is happy they are developed enough. There is no way they can stay together until neutered as you can't neuter until they are sexually matured. hopefully someone with more knowledge about fertility ages will be along soon enough.:wave:

I think I will defo separate them for now then!

Thank you :)

Hi there. Pleased to see you are trying to do the right thing. Yes your baby bunny could get pregnant now I am afraid. I had to split a brother and sister up a while ago. I had them both neutered on the same day and then 2 weeks later put them back together and they were really happy to be reunited. I waited until they were 6 months, although you could have the boy neutered earlier, say 4 months, then put them together for a couple of months until the girl is neutered. It does seem a long timme doesn't it but they will be ok. My female really missedher brother but they survived. So it's up to you how you decide to do it. You have to take their personalities into account as well. My 2 were both very sweet so I could have possibly got away with having the boy done earlier.

Thanks for your replies :)

I have now separated them, which made me want to cry because I know they love being together. They can still nose bump through bars, so hopefully it won't be too hard for them.

Just have to wait until he can be neutered now!

Back