• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me stop Rosie overgrooming :(

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Pebbles shoulder keeps getting worse. Rosie just wont stop grooming that one area. Whenever he is near her she will hop over and go straight for it. I just don't know what to do to stop it, she wont pay any attention to me when I try to clap my hands or go "Oi" to stop her doing it. His shoulder is getting all bloody and scabby :cry: I just don't know what I can do. They get on great apart from this and I would hate to have to separate them but I am so worried about Pebbles shoulder getting nasty or infected.

Please, someone help...

Maybe you will have to separate them in order for his shoulder to get better. In the meantime you can try to find a solution. Maybe after a separation she will forget about it.

I'm sorry I don't have any other suggestions. I think if they were mine I would separate, but perhaps if you posted a thread in the 'behaviour' section of rabbit care you might get more experienced replies.

I would also ask the question in the behaviour section, and I would separate them for now, just so that his shoulder heals :wave:

Ok I will try asking it in the behaviour section.

I was thinking of putting something nasty tasting on it but I don't know what. I will try salt water, maybe that will put her off and help it to heal

I've moved it to the right section for you. :wave:

I don't have any useful advice but have you had a look in the Old Useful Topics sticky for the behaviour section? There are some old threads re. overgrooming in there - it's been a while since I compiled the sticky so I'm not sure if any of them will be of use but it's worth a read while you wait for replies. :D

Thankyou, just reading through the link now

Rosie is the dominant rabbit, Pebbles being the more laid back and quiet one. They don't seem to be like Romeo and Juliet in love with each other, they just enjoy each others company but also like to do their own things in the garden. But even in the garden, with distractions and everything she will groom his sore spot if they are close together. I have never seen Pebbles groom Rosie even though she invites him to do so, do you think she could be trying to say something to him? Trying to get attention so he grooms her?

There isn't very much in their hutch as Rosie is a big girl and I don't want to take up too much space. It is mostly toys and sticks. No houses or different levels. I did recently buy a house for Pebbles to get away from Rosie but he doesn't use it :(

They don't have a run attached to the hutch. I keep meaning to find one but I am worried my mum and step dad will get angry about the rabbits taken up more space in our small garden. Do you think extra space will help out? I will talk to mum about a run, see if we can do anything

Back