• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How would you work these groups now?

Dot

Warren Scout
I've currently got 8 rabbits. Until 4 weeks ago they were kept as 2 pairs and a group of 4, made up of a doe pair, a doe/ buck pair and a doe/ 3 bucks group.

4 weeks ago the doe in the group of 4 broke her back and she's been on cage rest ever since. She's still got a further 2-8 weeks recommended cage rest, but is now moving normally though still lying down more than usual.

My major question is what to do with her when she can come off cage rest. I'm wary about putting her back into a group as her back will always have a weak point. She's not supposed to be jumping over things for a while yet, which would mean removing toys from all of them and she also couldn't stand up to any humping that may go on with any reintroductions as it is a lumbar vertebra that has been displaced.

Splitting up the pairs or doing anything which will affect them is a definite no, as they're very settled bonds but none will tolerate any other rabbits. The 3 boys that she was in a group with are, if I'm honest, happier without her there as they are all very chilled out and she's rather dominant and likes to make her point rather too much for them sometimes.

Would you keep her as a single bun? Or split one of the boys off the current trio to end up with 4 pairs?

Hi there. Sorry to hear your bunny broke her back. I woulld be inclined to keep her as a single bun for a considerable time and keep an eye on her. If later on you feel she is safe to be with another bun then you can make a decision then.

Back