• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worms

nessar

Warren Veteran
My Auntie found a worm in one of her buns poos, me and my buns are staying with her at the moment - I'm guessing all the buns need worming?

Do we use panacur and for how long? The info in the panacur leaflet seems to be talking aboutr E.C and hardly mentions real worms :?

Personally I'd take the affected bunny to the vet as the worming treatment has to be given in relation to the bunny's weight (I think). Also, I'd take the affected poo i.e. the poo with the worm/s in this will assist the vet.

The vet will also advise as to whether or not the others need worming too - probably, as a precaution.

I have 3 bunnies, one got worms and the other 2, even though they arent bonded to the first bun - she's a single bun, were all wormed with Lapizole on advice of the vets :wave:

Yes the panacur says the dosage for weight, one increment per 2.5kg I think. Dont really want to take the buns to the vet as at £25 per bun it'll cost £100 just to be told that we need to give them a wormer anyway, and worming doesnt hurt - I need to do mine anyway as Barney has unexplained weightloss and the vet said last time it would be worth worming him for EC just in case.

Have rung the vets, but they just repeated the panacur leaflet to me and said 9 days as that was what was on the leaflet, they said to use panacur. So back to square one - anyone had a rabbit treated for worms with panacur?

I rang the vets and was prescribed Lapizole for mine. They said I could weigh them at home if that would be less stressful for them (and me) and work out the dosage that way. They've finished their 28 day course now and no sign of worms :thumb:

I rang the vets and was prescribed Lapizole for mine. They said I could weigh them at home if that would be less stressful for them (and me) and work out the dosage that way. They've finished their 28 day course now and no sign of worms :thumb:

So you did a full 28days, the same as you would do for EC?

So you did a full 28days, the same as you would do for EC?

Yep, 28 days one off course. There seems to be some debate about it if you look at past threads, but that's what vet said, worms are gone and buns are happy, no side effects or problems :D

Back