• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio of Dutches down to 1 :(

deedee1997

Young Bun
:cry:This morning I found 2 of my Dutch rabbits dead. I'm not quite sure why they died but was wondering if anyone could tell me where I went wrong because the rabbits are inly 2 1/2 years old. Well.. firstly I know for sure their hutches were too small because they were only 4x1 1/2 x2 feet but today there new 6x2x2 hutch was coming. All of the rabbits were neutered and were all separated because they don't get along but none were vaccinated because my mum said that it was a waste of money to get that done. I used sawdust and hay for their bedding (stored in plastic tubs out side) ... could it be the they inhaled the dust from that? I also cleaned them out once a week. I feed them burgess excel pellets (stored in plastic tubs out side) with grass, hay and plenty of veg (mostly carrots). They also had plenty of water... but recently there has been a lot of algae in the water bottles. Could that be the problem because the rabbit that is still alive did not have as much algae. Also they were groomed regularly, they were not over or underweight although they should probably of had much more exercise. They also had a lot of toys to play with... I really don't know what I did so wrong but if you have an idea of what went wrong because I now want to give the other rabbit the best life possible. Also if they have a disease which killed them what should I do with the hutches and rabbit supplies because I don't want my other rabbit to catch it! :cry:

Last edited:
Only a pm would give you answers and it's too late for that now.

However, you have listed a lot of possibles, which could be addressed to give your remianing bunny a fighting chance.

It could be VHD so vaccination should be a top priority. Not vaccinating is a false economy and I suggest you show your Mum the plethora of info that's available about this disease.

You've mentioned sawdust and hay being kept in plastic tubs. Not ideal and could have sweated and produced mould spores. These will need throwing away if that's the case. Hay should be stored in something it can breath in e.g. a duvet cover (pillow case if you don't have very much)

Algae in the water bottles? Not good. A robust cleaning regime needs to be implemented.

I'm sorry if the above sounds harsh but the fact that you've mentioned these issues means that you know they are a potential problem.

Thanks for your replies, It will try and clean all of the hutches and water bottles throughly and I will be taking the other rabbit to the Vet ASAP for a check up and to vaccinated.

Back