• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Are these teethypegs of concern? UD: Home from op :)

SiDHEaD

Warren Scout
Hello,

I was having a cuddle with Holly earlier - not sure how she is coping with recent loss of Evo :(

Anyway, while she was lay on her back I noticed her teeth looked a bit odd. The top ones seem to be very short, almost right back into the gums. Have I got this wrong, or does she need a trip to the bunny doctors?

Here's a hi-res pic:

sG8BjV.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no expert on teeth but they certainly don't look normal to me. Normal incisors are about the same length top and bottom and the tops slightly overlap the bottoms to create a sort of chisel action.

Hello,

I was having a cuddle with Holly earlier - not sure how she is coping with recent loss of Evo :(

Anyway, while she was lay on her back I noticed her teeth looked a bit odd. The top ones seem to be very short, almost right back into the gums. Have I got this wrong, or does she need a trip to the bunny doctors?

Here's a hi-res pic:

sG8BjV.jpg

I would take her a long to a vet personally. If you don't already have a rabbit savvy vet then you can start a thread asking for a rabbit savvy vet in Hampshire (I assume you're in the Hampshire Tadley!) x

Hi,

Yes I thought they were supposed to be around the same length top and bottom! She seems to be eating fine, particularly hay - chobbling loads of that! Easier to keep a tab on what she's eating now she's sadly a widow.

We've registered at a vets round the corner from our house as Evo had to go there last week, very pleased with them so I'll get her booked in.

Cheers

Does she have things to gnaw on? Wood or rabbit safe branches for example? Hay deals with the back teeth, they need something to gnaw on for the front teeth.

Does she have things to gnaw on? Wood or rabbit safe branches for example? Hay deals with the back teeth, they need something to gnaw on for the front teeth.

She has a couple of chew items, but basically ignores them. Likes to chew our DVD cabinet tho LOL

Holly is off to the vets tonight, and actually she's started having a bit of runny eyes which the FAQ says might be related.

They're not as they should be. Is she a very young bun with a slight jaw misalignment?

It's probable that your vet can file the lower incisors and correct the upper ones so that she has the correct bite and this might provide the solution if her skull and jaw are OK. If there is some misalignment possibly this will recur but might be held in check with a good diet and wood gnaws to chew on.

I am no expert but I would think if she was eating OK and her teeth are not over growing then she should be fine?

She's just over 7 and this is the first time they have been odd (last checked at vets probably about 3mths ago).

Unfortunately it was bad news :( Her front teeth are only half the problem - her back teeth are really bad, and indeed is why her eyes are watering. She was also dribbling a bit today which is new - so she is going straight in for op tomorrow. Very worrying at her age, and only a week to the day since we lost her husbun :(

Healing vibes for tomorrow please people!!

Back