• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cylap reaction?

Pipkin01

Warren Scout
I found this wound on my rabbit's shoulder today

IMG_0450.jpg

Took him to the vets and she said likely a burn. Nothing he could have burnt himself on though.

Been asking aound and done a bit of research and I think he may have had a reaction to the Cylap VHD vaccine he had last week.
He's never had the Cylap vaccine before and I wasn't too happy about him having it but it was the only brand the vets had as they can buy the Cylap seperately and most bunnies are having the combined vaccine now.
However my little guy only had his myxi two months ago so I wasn't keen on him having the combined vaccine...

The vet has given him Baytril oral, iodine to bathe it and intrasite gel to apply twice daily. So worried now and the more I think about it the more likely I think a vaccine reaction is :cry: Kicking myself for not saying no to the Cylap.

What are people's experience with vaccine reactions? Is that what this looks like and if so anything else I can do?

Our vet doesn't use cylap, but that does look a lot like a photo of a cylap reaction I saw on here last year. But it could equally be something else that has caused it and that this is just a nasty coincidence. I hope someone more knowledgeable comes along, and that your bunny's wound is better soon xoxo

There are many many reported reactions to Cylap and I know a very large number of people don't use it because of the issues. (do a search on the forum for reaction cylap and you will see quite a few threads sadly.)

Up until now we have used Lapinject instead but all of our rabbits are moving onto the new combi vaccine (although there have been a few bunnies reported to have had reactions to this too).

I'm not a vet but that does look just like the other pictures i've seen of cylap reactions and the one suspected cylap reaction I've seen first hand xx

When did he have his cylap injection and when did he react? The reaction should be within 24 hours - mine was. They had their jabs on the evening and come morning Thumper couldn't use one of her front legs and Coco's wasn't brilliant either. Thumper was worse though - couldn't get upstairs to bed/hay/water all night and I didn't know :( It took her/them 4-5 days to fully recover.

If there were more than 2 days between jab and noticeable reaction then it's unlikely it was the jab, in my opinion. However, a small scab at the site you may not have noticed straightaway; only noticed it when it became so big.

50/50 - but it probably is a reaction and started off small.

Back