• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mouldy Hutch Problem

I have a hutch which is showing signs of mould/mildew in most places. I got it several months ago second hand on Gumtree (it's homemade btw) because I needed emergency housing for some guinea pigs. It was very sturdy when I bought it and the materials looked good quality(although a bit dirty). It has long legs. But after the bad weather cold, snow and heavy rain it's looking very worn. Felt coming off badly, paint looking bad, signs of mould and I am not sure if this is a problem but between some pieces of wood are small gaps(which were already there when we bought it) and I'm worried it might be a bit drafty because of that. Is there anything I can do to make it suitable for guinea pigs to live in again and make it look nice? Would include pics if I could use photobucket. Thanks. =)

It will need a good scrub out to get rid of the mould. It's best to do it on a warm, dry day (if we ever get one!) so it dries quickly and doesn't sit damp. Drafts can be a problem, so best to try and fill the gaps. You could replace the wood if it's really bad. Also replace the felt, otherwise it will leak, which isn't good.

This thread might be useful:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?343051-Hutch-renovation-no.1!

Thanks. Do you think I could paint over the bright blue paint as it doesn't look very good now? The problem is the mould is pretty much everywhere :( My dad suggested using sanding paper to rub it off???

Thanks. Do you think I could paint over the bright blue paint as it doesn't look very good now? The problem is the mould is pretty much everywhere :( My dad suggested using sanding paper to rub it off???

I wouldn't advise that because you will create dust that you'll breathe in. You need to kill it with a decent hutch disinfectant and then scrub it and allow it to dry fully.

I wouldn't advise that because you will create dust that you'll breathe in. You need to kill it with a decent hutch disinfectant and then scrub it and allow it to dry fully.

Scrub it so that you'd actually be able to see mould on your spong or whatever? Sorry I'm abit stupid. :roll: Thanks anyway.

Scrub it so that you'd actually be able to see mould on your spong or whatever? Sorry I'm abit stupid. :roll: Thanks anyway.

I'd spray it with a good hutch disinfectant. Leave for 5 minutes. Wipe off with a damp cloth. Then give it a good scrub with hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush and let it dry.

Good idea, but I bet you have to pay a fortune to get that arranged as we don't have a special hose or anything?

I borrowed my dads you only need a normal hose and fit that into the machine, you can buy one for about eighty pounds but then thats a fortune if you havent got it :wave:

Back