• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a single rabbit

CarrotEater

Young Bun
Honey always looks to bored, we can't get another rabbit as we don't have the money or the space. I always give him things to play with (such as cardboard boxes to rip up and toilet roll tubes), he only plays with them for about 10 minutes then ignores them. He loves running around so he's out all the time when I'm at home. He's a 2 year old Holland Lop. I know (well think) that he's happy but he just always looks bored!

Bunnies love company and your bun is probably lonely despite your best intentions wth toys. And remember you don't 'speak bunny' very well.

Maybe reconsider getting him a wifebun from a rescue. Whilst two buns will require a bigger space, you may be suprised how little an extra bun will cost really.

Or maybe make him into a :love:housebunny

He's a house bunny during the winter and when it's raining a lot. And he isn't neutered so I can't have another bunny :( His cage isn't big enough.

He's a house bunny during the winter and when it's raining a lot. And he isn't neutered so I can't have another bunny :( His cage isn't big enough.

Hi :wave:

Please save up to have him neutered. He will be much happier, more relaxed, less frustrated. Then one day - maybe you can get him a friend but at least having him neutered will help the immediate situation.

In addition, picking up on him being a house bunny when it's raining etc.... do be careful about changing him from outside to inside as this can cause all sorts of problems. The change must be done gradually and if he's used to being outside and you bring him in, it should only be for short periods of time and when the heating is off & windows open :thumb: Any reason why he can't be a house bun all year round? Being outside alone is a pretty sad place :(

Last edited:
We don't have heating at my house so that's not a problem. He knows that when it's torrential rain, he's coming inside. When it starts raining he looks at me like 'am I coming inside?' I think he prefers it inside because he can see me and my family and he can run free (I leave his cage open for him to jump in when he wants). We have no money at all, so I can't save up. My dad is probably going to loose him job at his next medical and my mum hates her one. I'm looking for a Saturday job but there's no guarantee. I'm honestly trying my best. *gets ready to be told I shouldn't have a rabbit*

:wave:
I have a single bunny too. It's not ideal, of course, but I've got my lad so spoilt and pampered I really don't think he would take to a friend. :oops: My boy is neutered, so I've even less of an excuse not to have him a friend. If I knew what I do now, I would definitely have started with a pair, or had Spenser a friend sooner.

It sounds as if your bunny gets a fair bit of exercise and attention, so try not to feel too guilty.

We don't have heating at my house so that's not a problem. He knows that when it's torrential rain, he's coming inside. When it starts raining he looks at me like 'am I coming inside?' I think he prefers it inside because he can see me and my family and he can run free (I leave his cage open for him to jump in when he wants). We have no money at all, so I can't save up. My dad is probably going to loose him job at his next medical and my mum hates her one. I'm looking for a Saturday job but there's no guarantee. I'm honestly trying my best. *gets ready to be told I shouldn't have a rabbit*

No one is saying that :) Just trying to give you advice based on whats best for the bun + other people read the questions & responses also and so it's important to always try and give the 'best case' scenario.

Can he stay inside all year round? At least then he won't be so lonely & bored in the summer, he'll get more exercise & be a healthier bun :wave:

Clearly you care a lot about the well being of your rabbit, which is the most important thing, not whether you have a single bun or not or how much money you have.

:wave:

I also have a single un-neutered little boy. I didn't know he was un-neutered and so I saved up to get him a friend. I know you say you don't have any money, and I don't either (I literally have nothing at the moment) but I saved up every 20p, 50p and £1 I had loose in my handbag (and my OH had loose in his pocket) after my first homecheck and in a couple of months I had almost enough money for the adoption (£50). By the time it came for him to meet his friend I had the whole amount and took it to the bank to be changed into notes (much easier to carry about :lol:). Unfortunately as he wasn't neutered he couldn't have a friend but I have now saved that money and have started the saving process again for his neuter (about £65). It will take me a good few weeks but it will be possible soon. It will then take me a few months to save back up again for the adoption fee but it is very important for him to have a friend and be neutered so I know I must save up for it. That does mean I've sacrificed the sort of food I have bought for myself and stopped any luxuries for the time being but I chose to have Stephen so it's my responsibility to make sure he's cared for in the best way possible :)

I have Stephen inside so he is not on his own so much and I do think it would be a good thing to be able to do if you can. You might not be able to speak bunny very well but he will appreciate the company that he will have from you and you can build a close bond with him by trying to understand his behaviour, and mimicking it as best you can.

Hi :) I have a male single bunny too, i am looking to get him a friend in the near future but the way i think you should look at it is your bunny is lucky, alot of bunnys are left on their own and don't even have any human interaction, atleast he has you :)

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better. He does get a lot of human interaction, there's ALWAYS someone talking to him,even if he's outside. I don't go half an hour without giving him a stroke and a good chat. I love him so much so that's why I worry about him.

I have single neutered rabbit who lives in the house.

He seems perfectly happy to me, though I suppose no one can know for sure if a rabbit is happy!

ive got a single male bunny as well and hes always looked bored theres not really much u can do if u cant afford it. i just try my best to gibve him attention when im in he seems to sleep during the day when im not in and then when me and bf come in he starts making a fuss which is normally when we let him out. hes started coming up to me more now when hes out i sit on floor with him some times he ignores me sometimes he doesnt. normally i do this while sitting down with a book so normally i have him taking the book of me or just nibbling on it which he enjoys doing especially when i try to stop him he just binkys away :roll:

im hoping that when things have settles down and weve got scooter sorted out better that he may be able to have a bunny wife but until then i try not to get my hopes up its all upto him really. i think hed love the company and it wud probably change him.

I really feel for you re the money situation - I've been there! Maybe you could do some babysitting to earn some cash, specifically to put aside for your bunny? Or dog walking even.

A good way to keep him stimulated would be to scatter his pellets around his enclosure so he has to hop around and look for them. It's more natural and time consuming than eating from a bowl. And you could make him a little show jumping course from garden canes ballanced on books or something, and teach him to hop over them for a treat?

Last edited:
I have a single female, I intended to get her a friend but the landlord suddenly decided that it was completely unacceptable for me to get any more pets. I'm going to have her spayed and buy a bigger hutch in preparation for moving house next summer and getting her a friend then (or before, and not telling the landlord).

hes only 2ish you have pleanty of years to slowly improve his life you might be in a position this time next year to make things better you dont know what the future holds

Well Boris was single until he was about 3 years old (he's 5 now) and he never really seemed sad on his own. I spent a lot of time with him so he got plenty of attention and stimulation from me. Whenever I went away somewhere I did however notice that he became bored and a lot more destructive. Especially when we moved to the new house and had to shut him away at night (initially he was in a really small cage as well, which I later replaced with one that just about met minimum requirements but worked ok for him as he's a small bunny). But I definitely wouldn't say that he was depressed during those years as a single bun. Having seen him interact with Bella for nearly 2 years I know that he's happier now that he has her, but he was happy as a single too. Spend as much time as you possibly can with him (I'd probably bring him indoors if I were you) and he'll be fine. As others have said he's still young and it's quite possible that, at some point in the future, you'll be able to get him neutered etc. :)

Back