• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Benjie is so patient with me.

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I've 2 stories about Benjie in both cases I've been a penny short of a shilling.
Both happened when giving him the nebuliser on my knee.

a) I often prop up his chin to get his nose well in the mist. As soon as I let go Benjie would start to lick my fingers avidly, so it was back to positioning him in the mist in a repeated pattern, until Benjie would get restless.
By propping up his chin I was only asking him & very insistantly, to groom me, in bunny language, wasn't I? :oops:
No wonder he got restless & irritated when I didn't return the favour, but kept demanding a groom!!!

b) Tonight, with improved bunny manners, I was stroking him, & decided to tease out the tufty moultings at the back. With eyes firmly fixed at the front end I found this huge mass of tangle, thought, "Ooops that's a vet job to cut all that out", & had a quick look. I'd only grabbed hold of his tail hadn't I?:oops:

:lol::lol::lol:

Sometimes I am very glad they can't talk back to us! It is lovely to hear that you two are building a great rapport and working out a combined language.:love:

Thanks for your replies everyone. I enjoy sharing a chuckle.

Ha ha what are you like you do make me chuckle. Hope you are well x

Erm shall we say I seem to go through life playing the fool without trying very hard, but at least I can stand back & see the humour of it! :lol:
Thank you - I seem to be through the worst, it's just a matter of a step at a time now.

Aliduncan 1 It's a slow process with Benjie & I, probably because the house was already "rabbit friendly" after Thumper got me to rearrange it, to a bunny's likes! :lol:
I don't think that Benjie has grasped that I use words yet, & totally unlike Thumper he responded from the beginning to "a-a" as no. No was never in Thumper's vast vocabulary! :lol:

It's fortunate you didn't try to cut it out yourself with scissors :shock:

He's lucky to have you though and I'm sure he knows it :love:

It's fortunate you didn't try to cut it out yourself with scissors :shock:

He's lucky to have you though and I'm sure he knows it :love:

:lol::lol: It is indeed. My days of sewing bits back on, are truely over.!!!
The amazing thing was that I was fiddling around with his tail & he didn't blink an eyelid at the front end!

We're both lucky. He's incredibly affectionate & wants nothing more than to be stroked. He's heavily into allogrooming, so he settles beside me, licking my trousers in return.
Fortunately the almost permanent wet mark on my trousers can't be misinterpreted.:lol:

What cute stories. :) I'm so glad to see you posting again, Judy.
Hugs being sent in Spirit for you both. :)

:lol::lol:

Tail removal is my speciality! :oops: Lollipop my tail-less childhood bun after a poorly placed foot :cry:

Benjie sounds to me to be a very responsive and friendly little bun, I think you will soon be put in your place....even if done patiently! ;):love:

Hello, I'd love to see more of Benjie! Is there perhaps a piccie you could post? :wave:

Thank you so much KoShiatar. :D On topic here he is being very patient while I'm being very rude & demanding to be groomed.
DSCF0051.jpg

He's fully grown now & 3.3 Kgm. He's a cross with some Beveran in him & the spitting image of Lea Anne's Vincent, who's also a snuffles bunny.

Beautiful bunny! <3 Please post more about him! :love:

It's very early days yet, but it seems that Benjie may have literally given me my life back.
In trying to give him the best chances for pastuerellosis, one aspect was to reduce stress levels which produce high cortisol levels, which wipe out the immune system in rabbits. I found out that Echinacea reduces cortisol levels, so I started Benjie on it.

I daren't start on the topic of how psychiatric services just watched my depression deteriorate to the point when I was only able to move about for 2 hours a day & I put up an urgent thread for temporary fostering for Benjie in the event I couldn't even care for him. In total desperation I looked up the recent research, & had a hunch that prolonged stress might be blocking the effects of my own meds by high levels of cortisol. I'd absolutely nothing to lose.
It's been a very dramatic response, & heck of a bumpy, but I reckon that I may be beginning to improve & quite remarkably. It's looking as if I'm going into my 1st. remission for about 20 years!!
It's too early to say yet but I actually felt happy 1st. thing this morning & felt joy when foraging in a gorgeous blue & pink meadow this afternoon. It's like waking up from the dead.

So without Benjie & his snuffles, I'd be completely at the end of the road now.

He's quite a timid boy, - bolts into his hidey hole if my tummy rumbles! :lol: He's literally a cuddle bunny - that's all he wants, & that's been fine by me, cos I haven't been able to do much else - felt very guilty about it actually.

Glad to hear you are doing better, Judy. :) Bunnies are so therapeutic. :D
Benjie has such a lovely face. :love: And that's a nifty little nozzle!
A question...would you recommend echinacea tea for relief from cortisol induced stress or is a tincture better? (For humans)

It's very early days yet, but it seems that Benjie may have literally given me my life back.
In trying to give him the best chances for pastuerellosis, one aspect was to reduce stress levels which produce high cortisol levels, which wipe out the immune system in rabbits. I found out that Echinacea reduces cortisol levels, so I started Benjie on it.

I daren't start on the topic of how psychiatric services just watched my depression deteriorate to the point when I was only able to move about for 2 hours a day & I put up an urgent thread for temporary fostering for Benjie in the event I couldn't even care for him. In total desperation I looked up the recent research, & had a hunch that prolonged stress might be blocking the effects of my own meds by high levels of cortisol. I'd absolutely nothing to lose.
It's been a very dramatic response, & heck of a bumpy, but I reckon that I may be beginning to improve & quite remarkably. It's looking as if I'm going into my 1st. remission for about 20 years!!
It's too early to say yet but I actually felt happy 1st. thing this morning & felt joy when foraging in a gorgeous blue & pink meadow this afternoon. It's like waking up from the dead.

So without Benjie & his snuffles, I'd be completely at the end of the road now.

He's quite a timid boy, - bolts into his hidey hole if my tummy rumbles! :lol: He's literally a cuddle bunny - that's all he wants, & that's been fine by me, cos I haven't been able to do much else - felt very guilty about it actually.

Considering how Benjie rained on you by chance, he seems like he's a gift from Heaven, doesn't he? :love:
And this Echinacea thing is very interesting, having battled with stress and depression myself - though I met one wonderful and very capable psychologist who picked me up with a spoon and found a medication that helps me keep my panic under control.
Pets can be wonderful help. Just knowing that Mango will run up to me every time that I enter the bunny room, or how Shakespeare the cat needs me and follows me everywhere craving to be with me, make me so much happier.

Back