• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding in large areas

Hello there. I usually do my bonding in a biggish area, eg 7 x 4 run or 8 x 6 shed. I put boxes, tunnels etc and in the shed they have had 2 empty hutches to run in and out of. It works for me and to prove it I have 15 happily bonded rabbits!...I might try this small area bonding in the future, dont know yet. I usually put bunnies back in their own hutches for the first couple of nights and it doesn't make any difference. When Im fairly sure they will be ok together overnight then I leave them. I either leave them on the shed floor or put them in their new hutch.

Like all these things I think it can work, but I wouldn't suggest it as a first choice. In a large area, the bunnies can spend a lot of time apart, so this will inevitably lengthen the time it takes to bond as they won't be together working it out all the time. I also think there is a higher risk of injury bonding in a large area as it is easier for buns to get up speed and it tends to be the jumpiness and running away which causes fights. In a smaller area, it is easier to supervise and to stop problems from escalating. So I don't think that bonding in a large area is an automatic fail and it clearly can work, but personally it would not be my choice to do it that way.

I haven't and I don't know anybody personally that has tried doing it in a large area and have it work. I agree with Santa - more chance of chasing and getting the wind up their tails. The idea behind a small area is that they have to sort it out and aren't as likely to kick off as they can't escape the other rabbit.

I do think, the more bonds I do that the buns are either going to work or not and that sometimes doing things slowly (which might be the case in the situation where you provide more room to stay apart) is only going to put off the enivitable of will they won't they.

But I'm sure that there may be some folks who have had success. I think that this might be due in part to the bunnies actually liking each other from the start so could have worked regardless of technique.

Is there a reason why you want to try a large area?

I haven't and I don't know anybody personally that has tried doing it in a large area and have it work. I agree with Santa - more chance of chasing and getting the wind up their tails. The idea behind a small area is that they have to sort it out and aren't as likely to kick off as they can't escape the other rabbit.

I do think, the more bonds I do that the buns are either going to work or not and that sometimes doing things slowly (which might be the case in the situation where you provide more room to stay apart) is only going to put off the enivitable of will they won't they.

But I'm sure that there may be some folks who have had success. I think that this might be due in part to the bunnies actually liking each other from the start so could have worked regardless of technique.

Is there a reason why you want to try a large area?

agree with this ...

only time i have used a large area was with mt two housebuns and my two giants outside . ...but i do think it would have worked either way in both cases .

when bonding resues we always use the small spa ce approach as there is less chance of serious injury .

Back