• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pros & Cons of Vetbed?

Cari

Warren Veteran
I'm thinking about swapping over from cat litter and hay to buying two bits of Vet Bed, one to use and one to wash.

I don't really know much about it but have heard good things, can anyone let me know their experiences, whether it's good, how long it's lasted etc.

Would I just pop it in his cage and then put a little hay on top as he likes to munch and poop? :p I just think it must be comfier to lie on than cat litter.

I dunno. Advice welcomed!

Hay tends to get a bit stuck in vetbed, so I always end up having to pick it all out before I can put the vetbed in the washing machine. I'm not sure if it would work (for me) in a litter tray for this reason, as I think it would drive me mad doing this every day! I tend to use vetbed in the carriers so that if they do a wee on the way to the vets, it sort of draws it away from the body, rather than them sitting in it.

I use megazorb at the bottom of the litter trays, then a nice pile of hay on top, then just chuck the whole lot away, wipe the tray round and replace megazorb and hay each day.

Its good for poorly or post op buns as it stays dry on top but all my healthy buns have an obsession with weeing on it and throwing it around.

Also unless you want to spend ages brushing and vacumning it first, make sure you wash it tied inside an old pillowcase otherwise it will kill your machine!

We love vetbed in this house and have several pieces in rotation - some in use, some being washed. Like everyone says, hay does stick to it, it can be maddening getting it clean, but otherwise it is fabulous stuff.

Also not sure that I would put it in the litter tray - we line our trays with newspaper and put loads of hay in which seems to keep them quite happy. Defo a nice luxury for bedding though and very good for poorly/recovering bunsters xxx

Thanks.

It's for the inside of his cage which he uses to sleep in too, not just a litter tray. I don't know much about megazorb either and I'd have to use a fair bit of it as it's a 4ft indoor cage, was trying to reduce costs.

I hadn't thought about the hay in the washing machine though, that's a very good point.

We love vetbed in this house and have several pieces in rotation - some in use, some being washed. Like everyone says, hay does stick to it, it can be maddening getting it clean, but otherwise it is fabulous stuff.

Also not sure that I would put it in the litter tray - we line our trays with newspaper and put loads of hay in which seems to keep them quite happy. Defo a nice luxury for bedding though and very good for poorly/recovering bunsters xxx

I don't mind spending a little time picking hay out of it if it's going to be long lasting and hard wearing.
His litter tray and his bed are the same as he just has an open indoor cage which he uses to sleep and wee in etc. I don't buy any newspapers and nor do my neighbours or I'd consider just using newspaper in the bottom.

I don't know what I'd do with poos either, assume I'd have to hoover it first and then pop it in the wash?

:)

Thanks.

It's for the inside of his cage which he uses to sleep in too, not just a litter tray. I don't know much about megazorb either and I'd have to use a fair bit of it as it's a 4ft indoor cage, was trying to reduce costs.

I hadn't thought about the hay in the washing machine though, that's a very good point.

Could you get a litter tray, and use megazorb and hay in there (or even newspaper and hay, this works too), and just lay newspaper down in the rest of the cage? This works in some of by buns hutches (but not others, as they enjoy shredding the newspaper :lol:). This makes it really easy to clean out as you can just fold all the newspaper up with any stray hay and poos, and put straight in the bin, and obviously if he becomes litter trained, the litter tray is easy to clean too as all the poos/wees are contained. If he would like a bit more comfort, you could get him a little mat/fleece for one corner of the cage.

ETA, scrap that, just saw your previous post about newspaper, lol.

Could you get a litter tray, and use megazorb and hay in there (or even newspaper and hay, this works too), and just lay newspaper down in the rest of the cage? This works in some of by buns hutches (but not others, as they enjoy shredding the newspaper :lol:). This makes it really easy to clean out as you can just fold all the newspaper up with any stray hay and poos, and put straight in the bin, and obviously if he becomes litter trained, the litter tray is easy to clean too as all the poos/wees are contained. If he would like a bit more comfort, you could get him a little mat/fleece for one corner of the cage.

ETA, scrap that, just saw your previous post about newspaper, lol.

I could put a corner litter tray in his cage but I don't want to take up too much space in it has he likes to flop out and he's very well 'litter trained' insomuch as he never goes outside of his cage, I don't know if it's a bit mean to try and restrict him further to just use one corner of his cage when he's been used to using the whole thing as a litter tray for 2 years? If I did get a little litter tray I don't mind buying a newspaper every day to put in it but I obviously couldn't buy enough for his whole cage :lol:

OH and I pick up any left newspapers on the train on the way home from work, as we don't buy a paper either.

Another idea is perhaps to let him use the whole cage base as his litter tray, filling it with hay, and to give him another place to use as his 'bed' outside the cage. When my buns were indoors they were quite happy to sit on the carpet under the coffee table most of the time, and had a litter tray in the corner of the room, along with their drinking bowl etc.

OH and I pick up any left newspapers on the train on the way home from work, as we don't buy a paper either.

Another idea is perhaps to let him use the whole cage base as his litter tray, filling it with hay, and to give him another place to use as his 'bed' outside the cage. When my buns were indoors they were quite happy to sit on the carpet under the coffee table most of the time, and had a litter tray in the corner of the room, along with their drinking bowl etc.

It's a good idea Annie but we've tried that too! He loves sitting under the little coffee table so I bought him a little bunny blanket and he wouldn't lie on it he just moved places, so we put the blanket in his cage so it smelled of him and then put it where he'd changed places to lie and again he just moved places! He spends most of the day lounging about in different places around the living room but he likes to sleep in his cage too. :?

:roll:

My bunny is very... special :p

I use megazorb in the litter trays and vet bed for sleeping on. I would think vet bed would get quite smelly if they are peeing on it.

I use megazorb in the litter trays and vet bed for sleeping on. I would think vet bed would get quite smelly if they are peeing on it.

Thanks :) I didn't really know what people used it for (indoor cages/ actual bedding/ litter trays etc) so thought I would ask. I could get a vetbed for his cage and put a litter tray in a corner but I don't know if he'd use it.

You can get newspapers from any recycling point & you could also ask OH's work colleagues to save them for you. Hotels etc usually have a selection of daily papers in every day too so worth asking one close to you to save them for you :thumb: Using newspaper and hay really is the cheapest way & works pretty well for most buns :thumb:

You can get newspapers from any recycling point & you could also ask OH's work colleagues to save them for you. Hotels etc usually have a selection of daily papers in every day too so worth asking one close to you to save them for you :thumb: Using newspaper and hay really is the cheapest way & works pretty well for most buns :thumb:

Thanks Jen :) do I just pinch them from the recycling?! The only recycling nearby is at the big Asda at Fosse Park. OH runs a pub and only has a small staff (who don't read :p) so that might be a problem, do you know what shops do with newspapers they don't sell? I'd like to try it as I know it's so much cheaper.

Thanks Jen :) do I just pinch them from the recycling?! The only recycling nearby is at the big Asda at Fosse Park. OH runs a pub and only has a small staff (who don't read :p) so that might be a problem, do you know what shops do with newspapers they don't sell? I'd like to try it as I know it's so much cheaper.

I can't really help with shops etc close to you as it's out of my area but yes, just pinch them from the recycling! There might be other recycling banks even closer to you that you might not be aware of so keep your eyes peeled ;)

Another good place is hospitals....imagine how many papers they dispose of each day :shock:

Apart from that, please ask your OH to get a job at a newsagents :lol:

I can't really help with shops etc close to you as it's out of my area but yes, just pinch them from the recycling! There might be other recycling banks even closer to you that you might not be aware of so keep your eyes peeled ;)

Another good place is hospitals....imagine how many papers they dispose of each day :shock:

Apart from that, please ask your OH to get a job at a newsagents :lol:

I shall go and ask the nice local shop keeper man and see what he says. :) I will keep my eyes peeled!
Yeah, I don't really want to go to the Hospital at the minute but it's a good point to remember in the future :) and :lol: I will definitely tell him he needs to change careers!

We are in desperate need of papers as this is where we normally get ours but the local ones have no lids on them so with all the wet weather they are all ruined. We are having to go daily to try to get enough just for the days litter trays :(

Back