• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ethics of keeping rabbits

lupine lacuna

Warren Scout
Hi all

How many of you allow your buns to run around the garden? I do, everyday, between 6am and 8.30am and then from 6pm until 10pm.

Now that I do this, I honestly can't help but think that for those rabbits that cannot be afford this sort of freedom, then its cruel to keep them - especially if you are not saving rescue rabbits and brining new ones into the world. They are so happy - as humans are - when given freedom. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Thanks

not every garden can be fox proofed sadly but as long as the bunny has enought space
like in a shed or playhouse and has a good size run too its not cruel :?

My bunnies very rarely even go outside. They have in a room with approx. 140sqft of space.

That is great for mine because it is what I can give them, but I don't think that someone who can offer less necessarily shouldn't have rabbits. As long as bun is provided with a decent sized space then I personally think it is fine.

Always good to know when someone thinks you're cruel :thumb: My bunnies may not have that freedom, but in my opinion, in my garden, it would be cruel to allow it to them due to the risk of cats or escaping. So they have lots of space, can binky, bunny 500. They are happy and as healthy as possible. I also have had some who have needed restricted access to space, and it would have been cruel to give them free range, or even taken them outside. I also have two agoraphobic bunnies who can't cope outside. I believe it would be cruel to subject them to going outside.

In the last four years I have taken on a wide variety of bunnies who would not be alive had they stayed wherever they were. I have given them life, happiness, friends, a future.

No, they may not have all the space you wish I could give them, and what I wish I could give them, but would I call it cruel? No. I would say that, like the majority of other bunny owners, I have areas that I need to improve on with regards to their care, but because I can't ever simulate what wild bunnies have, I'll always be working to improve.

My question to you would be, when they aren't free ranging, what are they shut in?

Now I have freeranging buns I wouldnt want to go back to runs, to watch some of the binkies is amazing...but saying that I dont have the problem of foxes etc, and the garden is very secure now.

Everyone can't do this, and to be honest it's a good thing most people dont because then a lot of rabbits would get killed by predators.

I have a nice big yard but it would be practically impossible to rabbit proof (loads of possibly poisonous plants), it's super hot most of the time here so the buns are probably happier indoors and there's loads of predators around here. Coyotes, foxes, raccoons, birds of prey galore, bears, bobcats, domestic cats and snakes (no venomous ones as far as I know, although there are plenty of venomous snakes in FL, but non-venomous also pose a problem. My cat apparently got bit by a snake and got a huge abscess on his face and was pretty bad off for awhile) and probably more I'm not thinking of.

Mine have never been outside mostly due to the amount of cats going around and also the little kids around here would be in like a shot trying to play with them. And I am scared that them going out and coming back in when they haven't been out before will be too much for them.

If they are getting the space, love and attention they deserve inside then I don't see how it's cruel.

I think it would be cruel to keep rabbits and not give them the opportunity to run around and binky, but rabbits can do that in a relatively small space so as long as the rabbits have a decent sized enclosure or plenty of time in a large run they should be fine :thumb:

I'm sure if you gave yours a field to run around in and explore all day with endless grass and plants to nom on and saw how much they enjoy that you'd consider it cruel to only let them free range for a few hours in a garden.

I can't let my rabbits free range, it would be impossible. But i don't see myself as cruel.

I think people do the best that they can and upgrade when possible..
If your housing meets minimum requirements and your bunny is healthy and happy and you love them and give them the attention they need and deserve, and you try your best to give them what is best for them, then your doing great :)

None of the peoples bunny homes i've seen on here are in the slightest bit cruel, imagine all of the buns out there that have squat. They have tiny homes, no love and poor conditions.. They would binky their little hearts out in a minimum requirement hutch/run combo.

One could argue that it's cruel to allow a domesticated pet to free range where they could be at risk from predators ;). That said, I do allow mine to free-range - even when I'm not home. I know the risks but I personally prefer them to have as free a life as possible, even if it puts them at an increased risk. However, I also strongly believe that a house-rabbit or outdoor enclosure rabbit has just as much quality of life if their owner provides them with space, company, mental stimulation and a healthy diet.

As long as each individual owner can satisfy themselves that they are doing the best possible for their own bunnies then no-one should be made to feel that their level of care is any less 'worthy' than someone else.

I have a very large front and back garden but I live with my parents so I can't 'bunnyproof it', although when I just had one or two rabbits they used to free range and they knew they weren't allowed past a certain point (where the gate should be) but they never spent their time racing round the garden, they had a quick nibble of the grass if they were hungry and then went and layed under their hutches in the back garden, I keep them in runs now because there's so many and there's now two huge gaps into both neighbours' gardens, and I see them binky much more, better safe than given a huge area they wont even use. Mine don't have an attached run yet unfortunately but they do have a 6x2x2 hutch, they rarely run around it but they're certainly not overweight and I have seen them binky in it quite a few times, infact when they know they're going to be taken out to their runs they'll sit in the awkwardest corner of the hutch where I can't reach them :roll:

I think you need to look into what you've said, if you really believe these poor rabbits who don't get hours of free range time daily are being kept cruelly, maybe they should be rehomed because the owners can't possibly give them that or afford to move house, then the problem is no rescue has enough space to give each rabbit a full garden to themselves, maybe they should just set them free into the wild for them to be hit by cars and ripped apart by foxes within the first few days :roll:

Last edited:
Hi all

How many of you allow your buns to run around the garden? I do, everyday, between 6am and 8.30am and then from 6pm until 10pm.

Now that I do this, I honestly can't help but think that for those rabbits that cannot be afford this sort of freedom, then its cruel to keep them - especially if you are not saving rescue rabbits and brining new ones into the world. They are so happy - as humans are - when given freedom. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Thanks

excellent. you can come and let my four run around my back garden, and you can be the one to fight off next door's staffordshire bull terrier as he tears them apart.

Mine unfortunately only get free range time when I'm about. Which is basically weekends.
The rest of the time they are in an aviary or hutch/run combos - all bigger than animal welfare standards so I'm not about to lose any sleep over it.:D They used to be indoors & had 3 rooms to themselves, so again, I'm not bothered they weren't out in the garden risking life & limb with cats/foxes & neighbours dogs.

Incidentally I think it's ace that you've managed to completely undermesh & roof your entire garden to keep them safe when unsupervised;):lol:

I think much of the reaction to this thread centres around the use of the word cruel and the implication that those of us who do not allow our buns to range are being cruel.

For clarity, the dictionary definition of cruel is:
disposed to inflict suffering; indifferent to or taking pleasure in another's pain or distress; destitute of kindness or compassion; merciless; pitiless; hardhearted.

Whilst as large a housing area is everyones ideal, I would not consider our rabbits 5 x 2 x 4 hutch with attached 5 x 4 run to be causing pain or distress to them so no I do not think it is cruel.
Would they love to binky round a massive space? Quite probably but we can't provide that in an environment that is safe for them to do it in. To allow them to do it in an unsafe environment would be cruel given that they are likely to be attacked by a cat or fox or dig through to next door and "meet" their 2 staffies.

Sorry OP but I really think you need to get some perspective and be careful of your choice of words. What you do is great, and your rabbits are lucky to be able to have that level of freedom but to do less isn't cruel.

Keeping rabbits in unsuitable accommodation is cruel. Not allowing them to have enough exercise is cruel. Some people can provide accommodation that is big enough to meet their needs without free range time.
Free ranging in unsuitable areas is equally as cruel, leaving the rabbits open to predators and other dangers.

Maybe the OP doesn't realise how many people keep their rabbits in a large shed/aviary type enclosure rather than a hutch? As I would consider confining to a hutch 24/7 with no free ranging cruel.

Oh, and my rabbits do free range when I am there to supervise them. We spent a day making the garden as rabbit proof as possible, but I would never take my eye off them as its just too risky. They have a 8x6 shed and attached 8x6 aviary which is shared between two rabbits.

I have a "friend" who's rabbit has a 4ft hutch. oh she gets a few hours in the garden most days of the week. but then a good 18hours of her day are spent locked up in her hutch. alone. Now that is far more cruel to me than having a permanently attached run, without free garden access.
I know which I would rather provide.

I personally dont think Rabbits should ever have been domesticated in the first place. I would be more than happy to only ever see Rabbits in the wild

But that is another thread I guess

My Rabbits have supervised Free Range time and none are ever confined to a hutch/cage. They all live in enclosures in my house. Ideally the enclosures would be bigger and as nature takes it's course :cry: and my Rabbit numbers decline :cry: those remaining will have larger enclosures.

I wont be obtaining any more Rabbits in my lifetime but if I my situation were different and I could have more then I would rather they lived in as natural environment as possible. Angie65's mention of the undermeshed and roofed 100% predator proof garden sounds perfect :)

I currently have 31 rabbits,
We have been taking in 'rescues' or 'unwanted' rabbits, Unfortunately I live in an area that has a high number of foxes, and only 2 days ago we sat watching one sitting in a neighbours garden (who has chickens and rabbits) braison as anything, we have also had kestrels sitting on our roof watching.

Luckily there is someone in the house pretty much at all times throughout the day.

Mum opens and feeds at 5am, I am up at 7 and all rabbits get to go out, some free range when they can be watched the whole time, others in runs, but they all get out for a good few hours, even if the weather is bad, we have a shed that they all get to stretch their legs in each a day,
They are cleaned out daily (be it just litter trays and messy bits or a full clean out) all have ad-lib hay and fresh greens and water daily,
We do have long term plans that cant be put into action at the moment as we have so many rabbits that are yet to be desexed and paired (if they all can be)

I certainly wouldn't say I was being cruel to my rabbits, even though as things are I am not entirely happy with the arrangement and cannot wait to start the building of new enclosures and fencings etc but until that happens I know all my buns are happy and healthy get everything they need.

Its a full time job, and I spend about 90% of my day with the rabbits and they get closed up and fed at around 9-10pm (as well as constantly checked and hay topped up if need be during the day)

Best start finding new homes for these 31 deprived rabbits :lol::lol::lol:

Mine hardly ever go outside. Boris spent about 1-2 hours in the garden every day the first summer we lived here, because things were different then. Bella has been outside once in her entire life and it actually really freaked her out. I could've done more to make her feel more confident, no doubt about that, but as our garden isn't safe anymore I doubt I'll be letting them play outside for as long as I live here. It's small and potentially proof-able, but it's the amount of moss and toxic plants that concerns me. I obviously don't want to risk them getting poisoned. There are also cats and foxes passing by in the evening. It's just not a safe place for them to be.

They don't have anywhere near as much freedom as I'd like indoors either. The room they live in is fairly big, big enough for them to run around and binky etc., but they're in there more or less 24/7 and although I feel horrible about that, I can't change it. It's my mum's house and if she won't allow them to free range, I have to respect that. It's not ideal, but we don't live in an ideal world. I'm doing my best to keep them entertained and give them plenty of love and stimulation. Yes there is room for improvement in several departments, but does that mean I'm a bad rabbit owner? I don't think so. I found myself in a situation recently where I had to rescue a bunny from almost being run over by a car because the owner let her run around the neighbourhood as she pleased. One could argue that this rabbit had an excellent quality of life because of all the freedom she had, but it was also putting her life dangerously at risk. I know this case was a little extreme but I guess what I want to say is that while freedom is important, it isn't everything. There are so many other factors to consider before judging someone and calling them a bad rabbit owner.

I can't trust mine. I could let Poppy in the garden all day but Donny and Lola can't have the whole garden because we have a big hole at the back, live by a main road and next doors garden is massive and we would never get them back after the have scaled the wall which Donny has done when he was in the garden as a single bunny. I had to grab him before he jumped through the bush.

They have a 6 x 4 run with 24/7 access and a 5ft metal run space which attaches to a 7 x 3 run which they go in everyday for at least 3 hours. Longer when someone is in to watch them like on weekends. I can't let them in the garden because unless we built the walls up to at least 6ft and blocked the back of the garden then they won't be anytime soon :? I might not be able to give them that and now I feel completely rubbish about it but I know my 2 and they would be trying their best to get into a space I couldn't reach them or they would get out. Too risky. And the fact that the pub next door has 2 cats that lurk on the back wall isn't a great thing either.

But I look after them as well as I can. They have everything they need even though they don't have run of the garden :? They are spayed and neutered, vaccinated and have regular vet checks. I clean them out everyday without fail and make sure they aren't bored. They have a 6 x 2 x 2 hutch and permanent access to a 6 x 4 run. They love running around their 3 runs when people are home. I don't think that's cruel at all. It would be cruel to have a rabbit 4 hours free range time a day and then be plonked back into a small hutch.

Last edited:
Back