• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need some help!

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I just realised last night I have no idea how I'm going to feed Grim when I'm at work. I'm going to be out for probably twelve hours and I feed him every four to six hours. During my full days at uni I just used to leave food down knowing Smoo would eat a lot but as it was only a couple of days it was okay. Or I would get a friend to feed him, but I can't do that every single weekday. :?

The problem is Grim can't eat hay so he needs softened pellets. But if they're down Smoo will eat them, stopping her eating hay. This makes her put on weight and get the start of spurs.

It's just if I put no food down this is good for Smoo, but bad for Grim as he will probably go into stasis with that long without food. But if I put food down that's good for Grim but bad for Smoo. I made a thread a while ago and I thought about having a box with a microchip cat flap. The idea is I get Grim microchipped and then only he can get through the cat flap to the food. But then I thought about how bunnies move and they often hop about next to each other or touching so she could just push in after him while the flap is open. Then eat all his food and maybe get stuck in the box.

I don't know what to do without separating them. :?

would Smoo eat it all if fed together or would Grim still get his fair share?

just wondering if one of those timed feeders might do the trick. pops open at the time you set it for...

would Smoo eat it all if fed together or would Grim still get his fair share?

just wondering if one of those timed feeders might do the trick. pops open at the time you set it for...

She would scoff her face. :roll:
I could give them enough so Grim would get his fare share, but the problem is she shouldn't really be eating any pellets at all, apart from maybe an egg cup full. But pellets are the only thing Grim can eat, other than bread and porridge which are even worse for Smoo...

The only thing I can think of is getting pet sitters to come feed them some pet sitting services have a drop in and feed service but that could cost you anything from £30-50 a week 0_o

The only thing I can think of is getting pet sitters to come feed them some pet sitting services have a drop in and feed service but that could cost you anything from £30-50 a week 0_o

^^This is what I thought too.

I'm in the middle of making a similar arrangement with a pet sitter as my working pattern is going to change shortly. At the moment I work the majority of the time at home, but I will soon likely have to go into the office 3 days a week. It is quite a massive anxiety of mine to wake up on a morning when I have to go to the office, and find that one of the buns is poorly. So I am arranging for a pet sitter to be able to help out in 'emergency' situations, and come over and take the bunny to the vet, and depending on what the vet says to either have the buns admitted until I get home again, or bring bun back home again if they do not need monitoring. For me it's peace of mind. It's possible that work would let me go in late, but I want to have a back-up plan in place before it happens really.

Hope you manage to get something sorted.

The only thing is a pet sitter would have to be able to guide Grim into the dog crate, not pick him up. And he's blind (or pretty much). They would have to know how to prepare his food (soak it in water) and then they would have to stick around for half an hour while he eats and let him out of the dog crate when he's done. And then do that every four hours. :?

Sometimes he stops eating halfway through and then starts again and I'd have to trust them to know he'd finished or was just taking a break. I think it's too much to ask someone unless they're a friend.

It's not too much to ask someone you are paying to do that!

Where will you be working? maybe there'll be someone on here who you could trust and doesn't work?

Could you get some sort of electronic opening bowl that will feed the both of them while you are out. Then don't give Smoo any pellets when you are actually home, so that if she eats them when you are out then it is ok?

Back